DOT3 BUMP MAP

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/DOT3 BUMP MAP

Chgros(Posted 2003) [#1]
I worked on the dot3 bump map because i wanted to see how it was good in blitz

The source code is given
The BCF system from Filax and Eole is needed to run the demo (the .exe is given but i you would like to modify something .. you 'll need it to compile)
If someone want to help me
I would apreciate
the demo allow you to bump map a mesh with Precalculated textures (using nvidia photohsop plugin to make the normal map for expl)
or to calculate by code this normal map
or load a mesh without bump (to see differences between them)

And You can bump map a mesh in just one line of code

* 5 pics level
Bump with Normal map precalculated with nvidia's plugin

BUMP calculated by code (gryscale)

Without BUMB

* Debut du stage du belier V2

AVEC BUMP
Bump with Normal map precalculated with nvidia's plugin

BUMP calculated by code (gryscale)

Without BUMP

You can try other files in the demo
The convention to name the normap map texture is :
Nom normal map = texture name + "_bump.jpg"
expl
a.bmp : a.bmp_bump.jpg
a.jpg : a.jpb_bump.jpg
You'll have to do it fo all the textures the mesh uses
if the texture does not exit, the will be no bump on the current texture.

http://geric.delaeter.free.fr/geric/SSSB%20Bump%20map.rar

Thank you for all comment or improvement
Pleaz excuse my bad english and the mistakes i made

Enjoy

Rob(Posted 2003) [#2]
Hiya, you don't need "img". Just include http:// and the full url for an image to show... and good work!

Rob(Posted 2003) [#3]
oh you fixed them! very interesting work :)

Chgros(Posted 2003) [#4]
yep
i made a copy/paste from my team forum
:-)
just forgot to delete [img][/img]

Chgros(Posted 2003) [#5]
no one interested in what i made ?

Codemonger(Posted 2003) [#6]
I remember testing textures with the cipher engine with dot3 bump mapping using nvidia's plugin last month. It looks interesting but the pertrubence and bumps look very subtle in the screenshots above.. you should try raising the max. height in the plugin and using a more scaled texture instead of fine small bumps, just to show everybody what bump mapping is really supposed to look like ... here is a link from nvidia of a screenshot ..

http://developer.nvidia.com/attach/828

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#7]
Please explain what you mean by 'Bump calculated by code' as this technique certainly looks the best!

Chgros(Posted 2003) [#8]
"you should try raising the max. height in the plugin and using a more scaled texture instead of fine small bumps"

what do you mean pleaz ? I don't understand ... ^_^

i tryed uing max. height in the plug in
and yeah the bumpmap looks better

Chgros(Posted 2003) [#9]
"Please explain what you mean by 'Bump calculated by code' as this technique certainly looks the best! "

I mean no normal map needed
i use a greyscale texture made by code for each texture of each surface.

so with this method you can apply the effect just in one line, no need to make a normal map texture using photoshop

but i dont really like the result
i think we can make a better function for this calculation

Codemonger(Posted 2003) [#10]
The texture used should not be a fine grain because you have 1000's of small little bumps which don't look very exagerated that makes a bump map look really bumpy ... even using a soften effect effect on the cobblestone bumpmap might help or to increase the size of the dentations so they are not so small ... so lets say you use photoshop to make your heightmap you mighht follow these steps ...

create a texture using a stone texture effect (or something, I use Corel)?

then double it's size, and cut out the original size from the doubled size

then soften if needed ...

this will give the effect of smooth larger bumps instead of small repeating bumps that probably won't look that good because their is such a variance in height over such a small area.

If my Corel Photpaint would run the nvidia plugin properly I would upload a really good normal map texture.

Codemonger(Posted 2003) [#11]
Here are a couple of things to remeber:

Heightmap:

Highest points coloured in white and the lowest flatest points are coloured in black.

Normal Map:

Is a image where the R,G,B is the X,Y,Z of the vector of the pixel etc.. and using the photoshop plugin on the heightmap we create our normal map...

Colourmap:

Picture the bumpmap texture applied to a flat white surface. A colour map should then be applied like a light map. Probably using a multiply texture pass.