Sorting poligons..

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sorting poligons..

@rtur(Posted 2003) [#1]
Is there any ideas how so sort alpha blended poligons?
As I figured out they are must be sorted manualy because hardware can't sort it correctly like opaque poligons...
May be I'm wrong? Is there any way to fix it with minimal slowdown?

LAB[au](Posted 2003) [#2]
The only trick that worked for me was to group meshes in a modeling software to export it and to load it a a single mesh in blitz. It seems hardware is doing better this way. Off course this means working the whole environment in a modeling package thus only for "static objects" with minimal possible intervention in code, except if you feel like doing everything on vertex level.

I don't know why it seems that inside a "single" surface/object Z-ordering and alpha blending are done well.

Otherwise I tried everything, texturing with alpha, splitting meshes, checking normals,... nothing helps.

@rtur(Posted 2003) [#3]
So LoadAnimMesh will not work?
It is not good.....:-(

LAB[au](Posted 2003) [#4]
What do you expect from LoadAnimMesh? It retrieves hierarchy and animations in 3DS/b3d files. But it will not solve any alpha blending issues I think. Of course I could be wrong!

I forgot to mention in my previous posting that I tried with an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and a NVidia Geforce IV Ti 4600 both 128 Mb graphic cards.

If anybody has a suggestion I would like to solve this also, in a more elegant way that doing mesh merging in a modeling package. I have done tons of testing, don't have a single idea left :))

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#5]
Sorting the polygons manually doesn't seem to slow things down.

LAB[au](Posted 2003) [#6]
And how would you do this? Is there an easy way of dealing with alpha blending/entity sorting? If some alternative to my trick exists I want to test it.