rapid game dev tools?!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/rapid game dev tools?!

BerhanK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Anyone been to http://www.radgametools.com/default.htm ?

Is there anyway to use that sowtware for making better blitz games?

I am not sure what those tools do but they must be good.

Anyone have an opinion about this?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#2]
They are not really suitable for Blitz.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2003) [#3]
Hi,

the Radgame Tools are absolutely great when you are a professional game developer using C or C++. The Bink and Smacker libraries are basically video en- and decoders, the Miles System is a sound library, and Granny is a library to animate 3d meshes. They are very stable and very easy to 'drop into' your own code (I can tell - I worked with Smacker, Miles and Bink).

There are many professional games made with Radgame Tools. It saves the developers man years of time.

And before I forget: Rob's right. They are not really suitable for Blitz.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#4]

Sounds like everything Adobe makes.

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#5]
OK Bink is $5000 for one title
Pixelmatic is $10,000
Granny is $7,500 for one title
Miles is $4000 for one title
Smacker is $3,500 for one title
and if you buy 2 or more you get a $500.00 discount

hmmm....
I think I'll save some money and clog out something myself.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#6]
And they don't DO anything.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#7]
But the licenses they send you via email are impressive.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#8]

I'll sell you my Blitz3d library called "Spectre". I won't tell you what it does, but the price is £3000, so you know it must be good.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2003) [#9]
RadGameTools are professional tools for professional programmers who want to concentrate on creating the game, not the sound/video/animation libraries for example.

Stating that these don't do anything or are not worth the price is plain wrong. It's just not in the realm of Blitzbasic.

Remember the sound start menu in Duke3D? That was the miles sound system. Remember the start cut scene in MechWarrior2? That was full screen video way back when they didn't have Pentiums - called Smacker.

Now get your personal favorite video game and look for .bik files. Found them? Good! These are Bink files. I could go on like that.

Are all these programmers bad because they don't like to re-invent the wheel? I bet they all made this mistake before, and know how cheap RadGameTools really are - that's what makes the professionals.

Regards,
Dirk

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#10]
Yes you see the bick movie format is very robust. I've seen it in many games and the movies look and play great. I think all the final fantasy in game movies use that format.
While professionals do use them for game creating, professionals who use blitz to create games wouldn't neccesarily need them to create a game.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#11]
jolly good show. Actually I think most of us wouldn't mind forking out for stuff if good.

Swift's problem is that he hasn't even got a website with proper marketing. If he did, and I could just purchase at leisure then there would probably be more sales. For example...