Thermal vision

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Thermal vision

Eole(Posted 2003) [#1]
I want to try to make a thermal vision like Aliens vs Predators.

Who would have an idea to make this effect ?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#2]
Simply overlay the camera with a quad (simple square mesh) with fuzzy texture. Use multiply blend and ensure the fuzzy texture uses colours greater than 128 or all of them less than 128 (depending if you want your fuzz to add or subtract from the final image)

Now use random numbers with the PositionTexture command to simulate fuzz. Use ScaleTexture if the fuzz is too blocky.

Eole(Posted 2003) [#3]
thank . . .

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
Sorry lol. Made a mistake in the rush... thermal vision? well I would have to recommend you use the gamma commands to change the color lookup tables.

This should work well I think, however remember that it changes the colors of everything including HUD...

Rob(Posted 2003) [#5]
You could just use entitycolor? I know it's a pain in the arse, but still.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#6]
You could play around with a gradient spherical environment map. A gradient which literally took me 30 seconds and no planning can do this :

I reckon with a bit more planning, a better gradient, and possibly some careful camera positioning or environment map editing on the fly, you could make it look great.

Eole(Posted 2003) [#7]
I will try the 2 solutions together
environnement map and filter with a square mesh

thank

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#8]
And don't forget that EntityOrder() will be handy for seeing through walls.
And *please* share your code if you come up with anything.

That spherical gradient map thing looks like a really good effect BTW. :)

Eole(Posted 2003) [#9]
If the effect come out, I will tryp to share it . . .
i aldready think about EntityOrder, it s very important to see throught walls in thermal mode

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#10]
BTW - is it possible to combine enviroment mapping with Alpha? I mean in a wa that the enviroment Mapping is used as Alpha in the same time? Well, I got to test this...

Edit; no, seems they don't like eachother.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#11]
You can if you modify your uv's manually.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#12]
Why not alpha the texture and darken it in some places?

Eole(Posted 2003) [#13]
Well, this is the first screen of my thermal vision

What do you think of it ?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#14]
Very effective.

Eole(Posted 2003) [#15]
I use blue light , bleu ambient etc . . , and alpha on each entity except the 3d model, witch i apply a spherical mapping and entityfx 1

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#16]
That looks very good. I tell ya, spherical environment mapping is so underrated. I'm using it right now for a really slick x-ray effect.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#17]
Looks cool. Probably you could also use some
camerafogrange cam,-200,200
and disable the fog on the Chars. An other Idea would be glowing footsteps. you could realize this like a Sprite-based Bullet-Impact System :)

Eole(Posted 2003) [#18]
It s a good idea

But I would like to make the make 3d model blurry (I don't know if you understand that i mean)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#19]
Yeah, blurry, of course! Maybe you can achieve this effect with some kind of Motion Blur Imitation. There are several Methods for Blitz.

Tom(Posted 2003) [#20]
Had a mess with this, I have a quad plane parented to camera, its texture is taken from camera 2s viewpoint, camera 2 is small so a small image stretched to fit a quad gets some mipmapping? or blurring effect.

Strangely it only does this when the quad is exactly 1 Z unit away from camera, maybe it's relative to its size?

Also, adjust the commented variables for texel alignment, and the quads alpha level, and you get some funky fire effects :)

The celshaded look with the 'pixely' texture overlayed looks kinda ok. All it needs is some static noise.

Please post any improvements or better ideas.

www.tomspeed.com/misc/nvisionBB.zip

Forgot to add, it includes the ninja model that I believe was released as freeware, if that's not the case I apologise and will remove it from the zip immediately.

Thanks!
Tom

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#21]
This looks very good.....

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#22]
yes, the ninja was psionics great work, royalty free.

Eole(Posted 2003) [#23]
Very good

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#24]
Might be a bit more complicated, but shouldn't the entity alpha be based upon the density of the object?
This would enable a person to hide behined thicker objects.

Assuming you are using types, you could store the thermal alpha for it.