3DS flat surfaces look jaggy

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3DS flat surfaces look jaggy

maverick(Posted 2003) [#1]
I have exported some text with flat faces but when loaded into blitz3d they don`t look flat ,, seems to be a problem with the vertex normals not reflecting light in the same direction , does anyone know a cure ????

Rob(Posted 2003) [#2]
export to b3d format if using max, using mine, or pudding's exporter.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#3]
alternatively, detach the front faces of the text before exporting.

maverick(Posted 2003) [#4]
I have tried puddings exporter already and to no avail ,, still get unsightly incorect vertex lighting on a surface that should be flat with all tri`s facing the same way , i have also tried adjusting the normals within max , but seems to make no difference.

I couldn`t find your exporter ,, got a 404 on your site :-(

I`m using Max5.1sp1

Rob(Posted 2003) [#5]
I took my exporter down because I believed pudding's was better. If it turns out it isn't, I'll put it back up.

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2003) [#6]
Check if all faces are connected properly.
sometimes 2 vertices are in the same place .
(then you have to join these vertices)

bolo

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#7]
As far as I know, this is due to Blitz Smoothing across the sharp angles in the model. As I recall, Sswift wrote a UpdateNormals function which retained the sharp angles from retached faces and UV seams.

maverick(Posted 2003) [#8]
Managed to find a copy of robs max export script and it worked a treat ,, now my surfaces are finaly flat and vertex lit properly ,, thanks rob

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#9]
Robs' exporter probably exports surface normals too, so overriding Blitz UpdateNormals.

Good ol Rob! :)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#10]
lol well I'll continue work on it if there's demand.

maverick(Posted 2003) [#11]
I think there`s definaley the demand for such a usefull tool

Zephar123(Posted 2003) [#12]
b3d way better then 3ds format

maverick(Posted 2003) [#13]
possibly true ,, i haven`t looked deeply into either format really ,, BUT 3DSmax5 is a verry powerful moddeling tool ,, until a tool as powerfull comes out for the b3d format it will always be my tool of choice

smilertoo(Posted 2003) [#14]
maybe someone could write a tool to convert .3ds to .b3d fixing these errors.

maverick(Posted 2003) [#15]
well thats exactly what rob has done ,, when exporting using his script the face vertex normals are correct ,