Optimization....

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Optimization....

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#1]
when i use the code

For type.type = each type
update type
next

the program updates each types previously created...
Everything is good if the number of types updated is sensible...

but when i want to update a lot of types (40000 for example!!) the program will slow down.............

Is there any solution to this?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#2]
all depends on what amount of data each type holds plus the more types it has to go through the slower it will become.

Add a check before you update each type so only the ones which pass the checks will get updated ie a simple example would be only update the types which have an id=1 etc.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#3]
but when i want to update a lot of types (40000 for example!!) the program will slow down.............

You think?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2003) [#4]
What are you using 40,000 types for? That's what I'd like to know.

soja(Posted 2003) [#5]
In order not to perceive the slowdown so much, you would have to do it in "chunks" iterating manually through the list.

; do in loop for certain amount of time
t.typ = after t
update t
; update world or something -- do other game stuff, and then return to above

If you NEED to update all the types during each frame, you may be in trouble, and you may wish to re-visit your design. (You may wish to re-visit your design anyway...)

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#6]
"You think? "

if he wanted sarcasm i would have done it :)

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#7]
I don't understand this 'update types' business. Can't find it under '2D a-z'. What's that all about?

BTW - It is possible to access types as an array. Does that help?

soja(Posted 2003) [#8]
"update type" is pseudocode for "do whatever you're doing to each custom type instance"

it's not literal

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#9]
Ahh! Thanks soja. It's good to be in the know.

CyberPackRat(Posted 2003) [#10]
>In order not to perceive the slowdown so much, you would >have to do it in "chunks" iterating manually through the >list.

Definately the way to go.

I am still in the midst of optimizing a custom pixel based 2d renderer, but I can tell you that I have increased the FPS from 30 to 80+ by splitting up my code between screen updates.

On my screen I have a large section being 640x336 pixels = 210,540 pixels to be updated. I assume in BlitzPlus I could push this much further.. but Time&Money, and Money&Time.. I have neither. ::sigh::

I am a sucker for optimizing code. Sucker><Expert !! ;^)