Which is faster? 1 MD2 or 1 mesh and 1 MD2?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Which is faster? 1 MD2 or 1 mesh and 1 MD2?

PsychicParrot(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello all!
I have a bike. I have an animated MD2 rider. What I want to know is (if anyone has the answer) which is faster:

1) Bike and rider BOTH as a single MD2.
2) Bike as mesh, rider as MD2, child of bike!

Any ideas? I can't SEE any visible difference, but it's hard to tell without building the rest of the game first and I don't want to end up in a position where I find I should have used 1 instead of 2 later on...

:) Thanks!

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#2]
you would be better off using b3d now puddings B3d pipline supports boned animation.
i was using md2 until that came out. It works rather well.

Zephar123(Posted 2003) [#3]
i was actually going to say the same thing b3d is amazing and really easy on the video card

podperson(Posted 2003) [#4]
The big problem for me with b3d animation right now is getting from Max to B3D. The two exporters available both promise animation support in future...

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#5]
no,you are wrong. The b3d pipleine supports skeletal animation now.

http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/

Export straight from max to blitz, using cstudio and skin modifier. its very stable too

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
"which is faster"

The important thing is that the difference is negligible. So do whichever is easier and spend your sweat optimizing somewhere it actually matters.

Podperson, as I recall you might be interested in the b3d exporter for Maya I'm working on right now (if not then ignore this.) Although my initial impulse was to write a plugin to export straight to b3d file format, now I'm trying to use MEL to export to Schuetz's XML file format and use his code to convert to b3d.