Y.A.L. shadow problems.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Y.A.L. shadow problems.

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello, I have begun to experiment with Y.A.L., and while getting it up and running for lightmapping is easy, I haven't gotten shadows to work.

In the demo function, the little cube does not seem to case any shadow, and when I try to light a terrain, the terrain casts no shadow on itself.

Has anyone had a similiar problem?

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#2]
Set EntityPickMode to polygons (2) for the entity.

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#3]
Jedive:

I tried it, and it had no effect (I was using sswifts 1.4 version which doesn't use entity picking as far as I know, but I tried doing that anyway).

But I have narrowed down the problem... when I examine the light map, it has shadows just fine... the problem is that the lightmap isn't being applied properly to the object. In the YAL example, the lightmap that is supposed to be on the bottom with the shadow, is instead the lightmap that is supposed to be on the cieling. And all the rest of the walls appear to be random slices of the texture. There is even a tiny bit of what appears to be a shadow in the corner of the room (where it SHOULDN'T be).

At first I thought it might be some weird thing with how my graphics card deals with textures, and it is messing up the UV mapping or something... but I have used other compiled applications that are based on YAL (Lightbulb, the world editor, is based on YAL I believe), and they worked fine. I have also tried every version of YAL, and had this problem, so it isn't just sswifts newest version. And I haven't changed the code at all!

I could understand if YAL didn't work on anyones machine, or I could understand if YAL just didn't work on my machine... but the fact that other YAL applications work on my machine, but when I try to use it myself then it doesn't work, is very perplexing!!!

DJWoodgate(Posted 2003) [#4]
What graphics card do you have? Not that this should make a difference if Lightbulb works ok, but then again that might be doing some clever stuff to determine the maximum texture size allowed by your card.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#5]
What kind of video card do you have?

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#6]
I am trying to run it on a voodoo3... 256x256 max textures, which is what I thought the problem might be... but I have it even when I generate the proper sized bitmaps.