FAO: sswift, shadow idea

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/FAO: sswift, shadow idea

Tom(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi,

You seem to be well informed about shadows so...

You still can't cast shadows from a boned, animated mesh right?

How about using simple proxy meshes (capsules for arms e.t.c), parented to the bone entitys, and create the shadow from those? If the shadow map was small enough that you could do a realtime blur of some sort, maybe it'd look ok.

Thinking about it, and remembering your demo...maybe it's possible already.

Tom

sswift(Posted 2003) [#2]
"You seem to be well informed about shadows so..."

Yes, I've been known to cast one from time to time... :-)

"You still can't cast shadows from a boned, animated mesh right?"

Still can't? You've ALWAYS been able to cast shadows from a boned animated mesh with my shadow system. You just can't cast shadows ONTO the boned animated mesh.

Someone sent me an example of a character with bones doing a sweep kick that they were having an issue casting shadows from, but it just turned out that they were using scalemesh on the boned mesh which messed it up, when they should have used scaleentity. You only have to use scalemesh on the stuff you cast shadows onto.

Chgros(Posted 2003) [#3]
yep
that's me for the example
:-)

So another question to you sswift
Did you try to improve your shadow system so that we can have shadow on multitextured mesh .
For exemple
I sent you a test with spherical mapping
and because of this effect, the shadow is not black, but colored with alpha (because you make "copyentity" )

Sure you told me to load the same mesh and do the same actions and animation, make it invisible and cast shadow from it.

But is there anyway to improve the shadow system ? and so that it is included in the library ?

ANother question
Is it possible to cast shadow on itself.
I mean
I have a temple.
I want shadow
But some of them will be on the temple ?

does swwift shadow system allow us to use complex geometry ?

thank you man :-)
Have a nice day byeybye

Tom(Posted 2003) [#4]
Doh!

Ok, 2 questions.

I might be interested in purchasing the shadow system, initaly I want it to show off some characters I've created for an upcoming RPG pack, does the shareware licence cover me on this?

And if I wanted to update to full version at a later date, can I just pay the difference?

Thanks
Tom

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2003) [#5]
I'd like to have shadow casters receive shadows also!

sswift(Posted 2003) [#6]
"Did you try to improve your shadow system so that we can have shadow on multitextured mesh .
For exemple I sent you a test with spherical mapping
and because of this effect, the shadow is not black, but colored with alpha (because you make "copyentity" )"

I knew I forgot something. I'll try to remember to look into that.

"I'd like to have shadow casters receive shadows also!"

Not possible right now. Can't get the locations of the vertices. Though one might be able to fake it with cubic mapping when that arrives.

But honestly, I don't have a lot of incentive to add that. My shadow system doesn't sell that well, and quite frankly, it's costly enough rendering shadows as it is. Casting shadows onto your characters would be suicide for your framerate. I already implemented soft shadows, which was silly cause that too causes a framerate hit. :-)

But I'll think about it.

"I might be interested in purchasing the shadow system, initaly I want it to show off some characters I've created for an upcoming RPG pack, does the shareware licence cover me on this?"

"And if I wanted to update to full version at a later date, can I just pay the difference?"

The answer to both your questions is....

Magic 8-ball says "Ask again later."

DAMN YOU magic 8-ball!!!

Okay I've shaken the 8-ball again, and it says:

"The ouloook looks positive."

Oh well I guess that's as close to a yes as we're gonna get. :-)

Yes. :-)

sswift(Posted 2003) [#7]
" I'd like to have shadow casters receive shadows also!"

Oh and you CAN have shadow casters recieve shadows also. Just not ANIMATED shadow casters.

ANIMATED objects can only ast shadows. (not counting 3D studio animated objects which are really static individual entities rotating and translating)

Non-vertex animated objects (vertex animated meaning by bones or MD2, not by you moving vertices) can cast AND recieve shadows.

Chgros(Posted 2003) [#8]
can you try to cast shadow with the maplet stage
i try it (i know there is lightmap hat is not the question)but no shadow inside the castle ..

(juste use the test.b3D wich is given with maplet)
you can also take off the lightmap to see if there is really shadow or not

sswift(Posted 2003) [#9]
If you have a problem with the system not casting a shadow, send me a test program deomstrating the problem.

It is more than likely that you have just implemented it wrong, and if I try to implment it to find the bug I will not recreate the same situation that caused you the problem, so I will not be able to fix it.

So you need to send example code that is broken for me to fix it.