Weird Collision Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Weird Collision Problem

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've come across something that may be a bug or maybe its just the fact I'm tired O.o

I'll try and keep it short, this is the problem.

I have set up collision between the player and a mesh.

The collision is of this type

EntityType player,Col_Player
EntityType mesh,Col_Object
Collisions Col_Player,Col_Object,1,1

so that's sphere to sphere and stop response.

The collision itself works fine, if I approach the object from any angle I stop, great.

The problem is that EntityCollided(mesh,Col_Player) returns false even though a collision has occured and been reacted to.

Any ideas?

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#2]
EntityCollided will only recognise the source entity in a collision so only EntityCollided(player,Col_Object) will return true in the above collision.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#3]
Strangely the way I was doing it worked initially.

I could walk into the object and push it around the room using the inverse of the collision normal.

As soon as I picked up the object ( using entitypick (camera,100) and parented it to the camera so that it moved with the player ) then put it down ( using entityparent mesh,0 ) it no longer gave me a collision list but still gave the collision response.

Changing it to your suggestion seemed to work for a while but now its gone the same again...must be a bug inhere somewhere..probably one of mine ^^

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#4]
OK I've narrowed it down to what breaks the collision.

Everything works OK until I pick the object up.

When I pick up the object I parent it to the camera

EntityParent PickedEntity(),p\camera

I then drop the object by

EntityParent PickedEntity(),0

from then on the object still collides but no list of collisions is generated and EntityCollided(p\body,Col_Object) returns false.

Any ideas how I can reactivate the collision list?

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#5]
I've changed from loading a mesh to creating a sphere an now things work as expected.

Im still not sure if it is a Blitz bug or a problem with the loaded mesh...have to run some more tests.

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#6]
In case you missed it, as the docs state for the Collisions command, only sphere style entities (entities given an EntityRadius) can be used as "source" in a collision.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#7]
Thanks for that skid.

Think i'd better get a pencil and paper out and get down cleary what I am trying to achieve =)