Single Surface particle system

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Single Surface particle system

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey, i've a few questions before i jump in, if you please.

1. When using sprites, does each sprite have it's own surface, ie i have 100 sprites inscreen, so there is 100 surfaces?

2. Since you can't hide the particles like you do with sprites, what happens to them when they are not being displayed? Do i delete the vertexs or what?

3. When each particle is being created, do i build it from 4 vertexs then join them with triangles, and keep doing this?

4. I heard somewhere that deleting vertexs, if there is alot of them is slow because of a vertex table or something.

5. And lastly, is there much of a speed difference i doing it this way, apossed to the sprites method.

Sorry for all the question :D but this would be very helpful! Thank you for your time :o)

[EDIT] I've also just read a thread about anthony flacks game with single surface and apparently the speed benefits are pretty big [EDIT]

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#2]
1. no. Use copyentity.

2. You cant delete vertices, so you just move em to outer space :) (ie. off the screen) and re-use them as needed.

3. Basicly yes

4. You can't delete vertices, unless you build the whole model again. And this is slow, so don't do it.

5. Not sure about that. You'll have to find out how much the difference really is.