Need Help, problem with a certain .b3d model

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Need Help, problem with a certain .b3d model

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#1]
Okay here goes, basically the deal is this. I made a model in maplet. Exported it to .b3d and it loads up fine. Then I imported into Lee Page's Decorator (1.7), and then saved it out. Now blitz3d gives me a memory access violation whenever I try to use "loadmesh" with the newly exported .b3d file (from decorator).

Here's the puzzling part, i've gotten several others to load and run it fine. Even Lee Page couldn't help me, it worked fine for him. I installed this on all 3 of my machines and it still had the same problem. Each of my computers has 3 different video cards with 3 different sets of drivers, I beleive they all have direct-x 9. (the possible being my old computer might just have 8). The only thing I could figure out was that those who have ran the program successfully run windows XP, and i run windows 98

So I'm asking if any of you blitz 3d users are running windows 98 and can test this program with model for me, to see if you get the same problem or not. Please let me know when you read this :-) Thanks

Keith

ps. I'm updating this because Joe Hocking seems to think I should have just posted the link, well I didn't think anyone had win98 and blitz3d out there, but i'm going to put up the link now, for anyone who wants to try.
http://uhfgames.kyuumu.net/test2.zip -- The file to test
is test.bb with test2.b3d

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#2]
I have to bump this up, because I kind of need some help, all you need is blitz3d and running on windows 98 (SE) Anyone with that setup?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
You didn't post a download of your model.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
I had a similar problem. I solved it this way:

load that model in Decorator
press F3 and re-assign the lightmap
save and try again in Blitz

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#5]
jhocking - I didn't, because I didn't know if anyone would respond, i'll try out what jfk said, and then i'll put up my test program somewhere and put up the link

Keith

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
That's odd logic but whatever. I figured nobody was responding because you didn't provide the model/program to test.

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#7]
jhocking - Well most people don't have win98 anymore :-/ So it's not very odd logic to me... just hoping people would respond.

Anyways appearently selecting a lightmap, and trying to reload into blitz works fine, however I did have to select something for a lightmap. Very strange indeed, at least now I can email Lee Page and tell him of my findings.

Keith

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#8]
That's a useful starting point. I'll take a look and see. But it's the error on Win98 and not on XP/2000 that baffles me!

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#9]
*Bump* still looking for people with win98 and blitz3d,
to test out and see if this model exported from decorator is a problem for them... look at the first post in this thread for details, thanks!

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#10]
1 more bump and I promise i'll stop... I guess if we don't find a solution, then i'm stuck with the limited texturing capabilites of maplet...

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#11]
I have 98se.

Difference(Posted 2003) [#12]
Works fine for me.

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#13]
hmm.. strange

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#14]
What's the problem with re-assigning the Lightmap before saving in Decorator? Not a big deal, isn't it?

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#15]
Because I don't have a lightmap for it... I don't even know how to use lightmaps.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#16]
I'm having a hard time tracking the cause down without Win98 (It works ok on Win2000 & XP).

As a stopgap, just assign a blank white texture (a 256x256 white block will do) as the lightmap, and it should behave as if there is no lightmap at all.

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#17]
Thanks. I don't mean to state the obvious but just in case you didn't think of it, you could try seeing how saving .b3d's with a lightmap and without are different (other than the obvious fact that there's one with a lightmap and one without :-)

Keith

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#18]
BTW, i'm trying to learn milkshape, that everyone tries to insure me it's easy to learn... but it's being a pain in the butt... Since Lee gave me this temporary fix i'm going to use it and probably use maplet w/decorator, since it is actually alot easier to me.

You'll get to see a little sidescrolling style game with a 3d platform ;-)

Uhfgood(Posted 2003) [#19]
Guess what? It's now working fine, with the new blitz3d update (1.85) heh... oddly enough

Now I don't have to do anything about the lightmap...
Anyways...

Thanks