which tool to use?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/which tool to use?

BerhanK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Quill3d, Maplet or Cartography Shop?

I am trying to do interior game scenes, such as rooms, buildings..

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2003) [#2]
Whichever you feel comfortable with. CShop and Maplet are specifically designed to do what you want. Maplet is limited (you need to get decorator to help it out). Check out True-Vol or Operation Chateau Pregney for examples of what it can do. The new CShop seems to be a good bet. I've experienced a little instability with it but it's still a good app for what you want. Quill also has an indoor map builder along with the ability to do other modelling. It's the most complete modelling package of the 3. You really need to just play with the demos. One other nice thing about Maplet is that is' free ;)

Physt(Posted 2003) [#3]
BAN300 -
Can Quill3d or Cart Shop produce BSP files?

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#4]
None of them produce BSP files, and frankly there are more than enough tools to create BSP files already. The only one that does any culling (as you would get with BSP files) is Quill.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#5]
i prefer CShop - a lot of things can do (fire, smoke, lightmap, water ripple - in future)...

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#6]
Actually, I believe Quill3D does entities, too. CShop's clear advantage over Quill and Maplet are the use of detail meshes (like in UT2003).