Maplet vs. Cartography Shop?!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Maplet vs. Cartography Shop?!

BerhanK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Which is better for creating interiors, like rooms (offices) for a game..

sswift(Posted 2003) [#2]
Cartography shop is clearly superior to Maplet at this time, but it costs money and maplet does not.

Maplet does have a nice way of making levels by just dropping down hollow and solid areas, so it's easier to construct levels. But it lacks so many other features which you would want to make professional quality levels.

And CShop can cast shadows from regular objects you drop in the levels whereas mapmlet cannot.

But if you're going to be making a simple game, and not something on par with professional games, then Maplet would probably be sufficient for you. Most people here are not trying to, or have the means to, create the next Doom 3. :-)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
What about Quill3D?

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#4]
Quill3D is much more an all round product.

It allows making vertices, polygons, primitives, you can lathe objects, use splines, load and save in different formats, design and light a level, carve, hollow, break meshes apart, you name it, yes you can build characters (if you are clever and persistent enough), although I believe that bones animation is for future expansion.

The lighting (like CShop) can cast coloured shadows (think about stained glass windows and sunny days), you can roam about the light mapped map in full screen mode.

You can add in your own entities, it has an efficient portal system which with a bit of setting up and coding you can use.

I think you may get the picture, it is a superb tool for Blitz and if you can afford it, you should have it.

I also love CShop though - along with Singularity.

Two years ago we were screaming about not being able to design ligthmapped levels and load them into B3d, now we have two or three major players, along with some other progs which can also handle many of these tasks.

We have come a long way, I can't wait for the next update (cubemapping etc.) of B3d, this is a very exciting time for all B3d users, isn't it?

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#5]
I used Maplet together with Decorator for the OCP Demo (sig). It has some limits, but it's fast and intuitive.
I added some stuff to the level later that is not casting shadows, but who cares. I like to work with them.

No question, CShop and Quill3D are great Tools, but they are not for free.