How do I delete a single vert / tri?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How do I delete a single vert / tri?

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#1]
There doesn't seem to be a command for this... which strikes me as odd. I hope I've just overlooked it. Something like FreeVertex() or DeleteTriangle()
:)

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#2]
I was struck by the strangeness of this too when writing Decorator. You will need to clear the respective surface and regenerate it minus the vertex / triangle you want to delete.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks for the quick response :)

Bad news though. I wanted it for some framerate optimisation stuff I was doing - so realtime surface regeneration is not going to be fast enough. Never mind :/

I'll put a feature request in.

TheMan(Posted 2003) [#4]
You can breakdown your model into many surfaces (when you have high polygon count), you can do that manually while constructing your model, or you can code a function that will divide the model number_of_vertices into small segments of vertices count, the number of segments are actually the number of surfaces that should be created
(e.g 1000 vert = 200 + 200 + 200 + 200 + 200 = 5 surfaces) then you need to create a loop ( for i = 0 to no_of_model_verts) that will create new mesh with 5 surfaces as in the example.

such process should be done initially before the project loop.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#5]
I had considered something similar, but the optimisation I'm trying to do deals with removing surfaces and polys at runtime for a speed increase : therefore creating more surfaces kind of defeats the purpose ;)

Thanks for the help though :)

sswift(Posted 2003) [#6]
You can hide a triangle by moving the vertices, but obviously that will affect other triangles connected to it.