Syncing sounds like on the Amiga Blitz

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Syncing sounds like on the Amiga Blitz

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello,

Can anyone suggest a way that I could sync my on screen action to some music that is playing in the way you could with the Amiga Blitz Basic. Is it even possible? I know they both work in different ways but surely it can be done?

Thanks for any help,
Jason.

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#2]
Syncing onscreen action to music would be difficult, but it would be completly possible. The thing is, your music file would have to be a certain number of beats per minute, and you would have to update game options at the same beats per minute, so things are synced.

smilertoo(Posted 2003) [#3]
Only way i can see of doing it is to create a custom music format using lots of small clips where you can mix and match them without the tune sounding crap. Not something i imagine can be done easily.

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#4]
Those are both good methods, here's another one:

Write a program that plays the tune and opens a text file. Program counts millisecs in the background. Then every time you want your program to do something at a specific point in the tune, hit space, or whatever. Program then records millisecs since last key press in text file.

Then in your main prog, every time this amount of millisecs passes, it does whatever it is you want it to do =]

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#5]
Now that`s something I hadn`t thought of, very nice :) Thanks guys for all your comments I have some new ideas now.

Regards,
Jason.

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#6]
Dr. Av is working on a mod-player that in should be able to do this.
I tried and gave up but the doctor is the man to pull off such a task.