Tools for 3d game ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tools for 3d game ?

BerhanK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey!

I would like to know what kinda tools you use?

I use lightwave, and then convert them into b3d format.

what about if you want to use the state of the art effects?

Is there any tool(s) that you'd like to recomend?

Ken Lynch(Posted 2003) [#2]
What do you mean by state of the art effects? If you mean in game effects then the tool is Blitz3D, i.e. you have to program them. There are plenty of examples knocking about this site in the code archive. Bear in mind that Blitz3D can't do everything - it's based on DirectX7 and not everything that DirectX7 can do has been implemented yet. That's not meant as a negative for BB3D though, there's still a lot you can do and most of the things it can't do are really just 'eye-candy' in that they don't make for better games, just better looking games.

BerhanK(Posted 2003) [#3]
well, like smoke (cigaretta smoke for example),
different types of lighting models.

For more complex looking scenes in 3d..

Ken Lynch(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yes, those sort of effects need to be progammed using Blitz3D. There are many different techniques, such as particle systems for smoke, flames, explosions. Some lighting effects can be done in the 3D program by 'baking' the lights in a scene onto the object's texture - I don't use Lightwave so I can't tell you exactly how to do it. As I said, look at the code archive section and check www.blitzcoder.com for examples of special FX.

SoggyP(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hi Pimpster,

Sswift might offer one or two that suit your needs:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=963

later,

Jes

BerhanK(Posted 2003) [#6]
thanx guys, good ideas..

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#7]
I highly recommend sswift's shadow system for casting dynamic shadows in your games. I'm not sure how useful his other stuff is but then I've never had any need for massive tiling terrain, etc.

BerhanK(Posted 2003) [#8]
yes, but it is S-L-O-W with simple objects - imagine that with a complex scene?!

In my game there will be rooms(offices) with chairs, desks, office supplies, etc..

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#9]
By "it" are you referring to sswift's shadow system? Because I've never had any problems with using it in moderately complex scenes.

Note that the complexity of the object casting the shadow mostly doesn't matter, only the complexity of the object receiving the shadow. The shadow of a 10,000 polygon object and a 10 polygon object are about the same to create; what matters is the object (eg. the floor) receiving the shadow.

Note also that it is easy to cast lots of redundant shadows if you aren't careful, resulting in an unecessary slowdown. For example, if you set a floor as a shadow receiver as well as a table on that floor and an object on that table, overlapping and redundant shadows will be created for all three objects.