Unwrap3d Again!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Unwrap3d Again!

BerhanK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Can anyone tell me what good is this software for? I can't figure it out!

Why would someone like to unwrap things?

anyone?

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#2]
It's for texturing objects. You 'unwrap' the UV (texture) coords onto a single flat texture, which you can then export as an image, giving you have a line guide showing the polygon edges. This enables you easily position your texture parts and create a texture faster, as you don't have to constantly apply it to your model to see if your texture lines up with the desired polygons.

Ken Lynch(Posted 2003) [#3]
Have you ever done any 3D modelling/texturing? Basically every model you create has texture co-ordinates (UV co-ordinates) which say how the texture file maps onto the model. This is simple for simple geometric shapes, but you need a tool like this when working with the kind of models you find in games like Quake 3.

It is called 'unwrapping' because you are unwrapping the model to lay it flat (think of one of those 3D cardboard cut-out model kits) and projecting it onto the texture, allowing you to use a paint program to do your texture as you can see which parts of the texture map to the model.

I'm not sure I've explained it very well, but you should get the essence of what I mean.

skn3(Posted 2003) [#4]
Also the program is the STRONGEST! out of any that can import/export successfully from a range of used formats, into blitz.

BerhanK(Posted 2003) [#5]
ok, I get it..
I've done wrapping in lightwave, where you wrap the texture around the object = long process!

This certainly is a good tool then.. =)