Loadsound sync?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Loadsound sync?

Not Available(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

I've got a little issue I'd like to share, I have a demo that's time synced to a soundtrack. The problem is that the first time you run the program it seems to have a 1 second delay in playing the soundfile - so everything is off (timewise). Running the demo again it seems the sound file is cached or something because it functions as expected.

My question is, how do I know a soundfile is really loaded and ready to play?

My code obviously doesn't work:

s=LoadSound("intro.wav")
done=False
Repeat
If s<>0 Then done=True
Until done=True
PlaySound S

Can anyone help?

-R

GfK(Posted 2003) [#2]
Program execution will halt at LoadSound until the sound is fully loaded.

Not Available(Posted 2003) [#3]
GFK, thanks for the reply -

The problem must be with playsound then, because at times running the demo the audio is delayed 1 second, other times the audio is on que.

I use millisecs() for my timing.

ie. I have an event that occurs at 1.5 secs, another at say 5 secs and another at 9.5 secs. When the audio is late it looks terrible, everything happens early.

I do a playsound and jump directly into the main loop.

gamefps=30
framePeriod = 1000 / gameFPS
frameTime = MilliSecs () - framePeriod

Repeat

Repeat
Delay 1
frameElapsed = MilliSecs () - frameTime
Until frameElapsed >0
frameTime = frameTime + framePeriod

etc. etc.

could it be that this frame limiting code is sometimes early?

I really appreciate anyones help - I have no idea?

-R

GfK(Posted 2003) [#4]
Try compiling an EXE and run that, see if you get the same problem.

In Blitz3D I often get a "stutter" in program speed about 2-3s after I run a program, I don't know if Blitz is doing some internal memory housekeeping or what, but I don't get that problem with EXEs.

Could be related....?

WolRon(Posted 2003) [#5]
You could try pausing the channel (s, in your code above) immediately after loading it. Then delay for a second or two before unpausing the channel and starting your loop. This might give the computer enough time to finish up whatever's slowing it down.

Not Available(Posted 2003) [#6]
Gfk - same problem with EXEs :(

Wolron - I'll try this, I did try putting a few second delay after it loaded, and the called playsound. I'll try your suggestion.

Thank you both!
-R