Particule with Sprite or Tris ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Particule with Sprite or Tris ?

Eole(Posted 2003) [#1]
What is more quickly, a particule engine with sprites or tris ?

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#2]
a sprite has 2 tris, so i guess if you use 1 triangle particles then it's faster...

Eole(Posted 2003) [#3]
But I can put a texture on it ? if there is only 1 triangle ?

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#4]
It may or may not be faster, depending on your card.

Eole(Posted 2003) [#5]
With new graphics card like Geforce Ti and Radeon 9....

skn3(Posted 2003) [#6]
When I tried making a 1 tris per particle system, I got some nasty texture wrapping at the edges.. even with the apropriate flags turned on/off.

I opted for the 2 tris per sprite in a square/rect shape. Whilst it may be slower, i am safe in the knowledge that it fully works. As for B3d sprites, and using tris. There is no option, use tris every time.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#7]
With new graphics card like Geforce Ti and Radeon 9....

Who knows? One requires a higher triangle processing rate and the other requires a higher fill rate.

yinch(Posted 2003) [#8]
I have read elsewhere in the forum that sprites are all one surface whereas tris may be separate entities with separate surfaces.

Surface count is has a high performance cost.

So if you are using tris they are likely to be slower if you store them as ents with separate surfaces.

y'03

Eole(Posted 2003) [#9]
thank for all your responses

I know my english is very poor

Ken Lynch(Posted 2003) [#10]
I can vouch for what yinch says. On my machine, which has a Gforce2 MX, I have found sprites to be the fastest - even above a single surface particle system. Certainly don't use entities in a particle system as things get very slow when you have a lot.

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#11]
I think that this will convince you that single surface particle systems [with one tri] are very fast :)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=757

Bye.