Sized Meshes

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sized Meshes

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#1]
Currently i have a semi unlimited tiling terrain map that i can populate with terrain meshes.

My issue is that i am trying to figure out a way to create a mesh 'template' that is automaticly 1024 units in blitz in width and depth.

Ive played around with some height maps etc. and 52pixels is close, but still has a 1-2 unit gap between the meshes. 54 gives me overlap (and yes 53 also overlaps) I cant have them overlap either unfortunatley.

I want to build some meshes in 3ds, but i dont want to have to scale them each time, since scaling meshes becomes a bit of an extra pain when i have to track the scale value of the mesh. and there is also distortion to take into account.

So long and the short of it is that i need to build a template for meshes 1024 blitz units by blitz units1024.

Any thoughts guys?

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#2]
Heightmaps don't have any scale in them, so pixelsize is meaningless in that sense. You can generate 1024 (Blitz) unit wide/deep tile from 1*1 or 3456*3456 (pixels) heightmap bitmap... if generated mesh is not correctly sized you can always use Fitmesh command:

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/b3ddocs/command.php?name=FitMesh&ref=3d_cat

...But when I want to make a say cube that's 4*4*4 I just make it 4m*4m*4m big in my lightwave and it's correctly sized. If you use MAX, I think you can do the same by using "generic units" and making the cube 4*4*4.

There is NO universal scale in 3D cyberspace; it's all how you want to make it... but it's often good idea to find some measurent in your moseling app that corresponds to 1unit in Blitz3D. Then you just stick to that, and model everything acordingly, and you don't need to scale anything.

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks for the info.
Ive been using fit mesh. and another function to return the location handle to the dead center of the mesh, but that still distorts the mesh..
Problem is that I really want to avoid scaling the map in the first place. I have found something since my last post. Maplet can let u change the unit / grid size. So your advice is dead on. I swapped it from 2x2 to 1x2 and it works fine.

I appreciate the help.