3DS Lightmaps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3DS Lightmaps

Lazarus(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi

I create a scene in 3D Studio and 'render to texture' to create the lightmaps and then export the scene to 3ds. Now when I load in Blitz there are no lightmaps. Is there some extra step I am missing to get them to appear?

Thanks.

Odds On(Posted 2003) [#2]
put simply, it's a pain in the arse and I recommend using LightBulb or something similar to do your lightmapping. If you really want to do it from max this is how I do it.

1. Do a Complete Map Render To Texture
2. Go through each object one by one and save the UVW coords from the new modifier it adds.
3. Add a Unwrap UVW modifier to each of the objects and load the relevant UVW coords u just saved.
4. Load each texture in the material editor and apply to the relevant object(s).
5. Export

Like I said, its a pain in the arse and IMO not worth the hassle when LightBulb does such a good job and exports straight to b3d.

Lazarus(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks very much for your help. I'll give it a go but as you said, it sounds like a complete pain in the arse and over complicated.

I might just have to give LightBulb another look at.

Thanks.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#4]
.3DS fileformat does NOT have more than one set of UVs - so no lightmaps! .3DS is ancient crap, you should NEVER use it... :)

Lazarus(Posted 2003) [#5]
What I really want is to be able to build my level with a capable editor, lightmap it and save as .b3d all in one environment. Then be able to simply load into Blitz and off I go.

Is Cartography Shop the route to take? Does it save as .b3d with lightmaps as the saving is disabed in the demo?

Lightmapper seemed very capable at first and I was impressed with the results but then I realised it wasn't a modeller so other software was required and how would it cope with an entire level loaded?

Thanks for your time.

Lazarus(Posted 2003) [#6]
Just looked at Cartography Shop more closely and it seems to be everything I am looking for. Checked out the web site and found my answers there. Looks like I'll have to get my credit card out again.

Thanks for your help.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#7]
Lazarus,

The answer is a resounding "Yes".

Both CShop and Quill 3D are capable of saving in B3D format, which I believe allows 2 sets of uv's to be saved (i.e. two layers of textures - one for the texture one for the lightmap.

B3D format is great for this.

Both products mentioned are brilliant, however, CShop is a level builder and Quill 3D is a modeller with a level editor built in.

Both are very capable, Quill is a little less intuitive than CShop, but there are many more features due to its modeller side.

CShop is fast and furious though, you really can build quickly and light quickly. The lightmapping in both seems excellent (nothing much to choose I believe).

CShop however, used in conjuntion with the Singularity Engine (just released as open source by Halo - see Blitz home page lower down the news now), means you have a really, really STRONG, and rapid level making capability.

In CShop you build your level (using primitives I haven;t been able to import any objects as of yet), add classname objects such as particle emitters, portals, ambientsounds, lights, playerstart positions, shaders (like water) and save in the csm format. Singularity loads the csm format and recognises then places all these special classes into your level based on parameters you set in CShop. It makes level design rapid and full featured.

I have Singularity and CShop open and bounce between the two to see what the level looks like, with particle effects, ambientsounds, wavy textures, already in place! That is not to mention the player controls, physics, soundfx and field target capabilities in there! :)

This aspect makes CShop a very useful tool.

Quill 3D also allows you to roam the 3D scene inside the package where you can vioew the lightmapping and your level so far, and I know there is a very efficient portal capability (I have never tried it but I have seen it - it comes with the package).

I would say have both if you can, otherwise you need to prioritse the features that YOU NEED.

Both are keenly priced. Quill has many more features for actual modelling whereas Singularity makes CShop extra special for 'breathing' dynaimc life to your levels with little fuss.

I should say that both do occaisionally crash on my machine, but that may be down to a dodgy sound driver currently causing a few problems!?!

I hope this helps.

regards,

IPete2.