unwrap3d question .

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/unwrap3d question .

skn3(Posted 2003) [#1]
I have tried the demo, and like the result that the max->unwrp3d exporter gives. Now my question is, are the results from unwrap->b3d exporter good ?

I have purchased it, and still awaiting response from my hardware.ini file.

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#2]
I have it, and I have never had any problems with my .b3d files exported with Unwrap3D.. keep in mind that you can import .b3d files also.. making it quite unique ;)

skn3(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yay i just tried, and exported my model first time no errors. I am very happy with it. Only annoying thing is it only being able to run on the pc oyu reg with.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#4]
Skn,

find the properties to select the texture maps, you'll have to hunt around a bit but they are ther, along with transparency too. Its a great product.

IPete2.

skn3(Posted 2003) [#5]
It deffinatly is :D.

I cant see why people where whinning after an exporter direct from max. This in my oppinion is 100 times more usefull at probably the same price.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
There are a couple things which converting via Ultimate Unwrap doesn't support. For most purposes it works like a charm but for some things it's not so good. For example, Ultimate Unwrap doesn't support pivot points so you lose entity positions; all the meshes appear correct but the actual entities are all set to 0,0,0 ie. the world origin. This complicates a number of things which are based on an entity's position, including rotation, alpha transpancy draw order, etc.

Still, considering all the things it does (eg. it can actually import animated b3d models and save to Milkshape file format) Ultimate Unwrap is well worth the small cost.

skn3(Posted 2003) [#7]
jhocking, I have not had this problem. I have successfully exported an animated model with many children to unwrap, then to b3d, and then in blitz parented some objects to one of these children. It was exactly where I left the pivot.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hm, I've not tried parenting everything to a root model. It sounds like that preserves pivot points. Very useful to know.

Actually, your description doesn't make it clear that the pivot point is being preserved. The location of the pivot point makes to difference for parenting additional models; that doesn't prove anything. You need to actually check EntityX, EntityY, and EntityZ, or you need to try rotating one of the child objects to verify that it is rotating around the pivot you set in 3D Studio Max.

skn3(Posted 2003) [#9]
Well I mean, I had a point, which was a bone, that was parented to the hand bone. I then used a seperate object(in blitz), and parented that to this point bone. As it rotated and moved, so did the gun as it should have.

If the pivot points were lost, it would mean bone animation would not work. As they have to hinge at precise points of the bone.

There is a setting on the max export, to not center the model, this could be it ?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#10]
Obviously pivot points for bones are being preserved. I meant for everything else (ie. normal geometry.)

Ultimately I know little of the 3D Studio Max export. I don't use 3D Studio Max. However Ultimate Unwrap certainly doesn't support pivot points overtly (ie. you cannot set pivot points, nor do models imported via 3ds file format export to b3d with pivot points intact.)

skn3(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hmm If your talking about point helpers then yeah. Otherwise I would have to disagree, obviously for the max route. As for any other, I could not say as I have not tried.