help on poly stuff

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/help on poly stuff

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#1]
Iam struggling a bit on how to place stuff in my level. I tried for example placing 5 trees in my level in 3dsmax and then exporting them as a 'block'to blitz. This way i only have to have one Load mesh statement in my Blitz code to get them in game. but what seems to be happening is that the framerate is dropping right down.( im mean real slow)
The 5 trees only come to 1500 polys , so i am a bit surprised. Will it make a difference if I import my trees seperately or can i have them as an instance somehow.
Is it even possible the drop in framerate is due to the fact that there are lots of seperate surfaces on my trees, each 'leaf' is a masked flat poly.

Algo(Posted 2003) [#2]
Yep you got it, lots of surfaces is undoubtedly what is causing the low framerate.

You can instance the trees by just loading one and using CopyEntity.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#3]
ok, cheers, thats cool that I can use copy entity.
hmm but damn I was relying on masked polys for my trees, I am stuffed now. I don't really want to use sprites.

also I suppose I have to manually move the tress in to place by guesswork then after copying one ie moving in x,y z

Algo(Posted 2003) [#4]
You can still do it as you was before, export all 5 trees as one mesh block including masking for the leaves, just don't use as many surfaces.

You could use just one surface for all 5 trees.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#5]
well this is the strangest thing. I decided to get rid of all my leaves as a test and just export the trunk and low and behold, the same crappy framerate. its almost as thought the engine is rendering any poly that is 'small' or 'thin',ie the tree branches really slowly.

Has anybody else encountered this .The trunk/branches are only 131 polys total

Bolo_Loco, 300 polys is not too high for a tree . if I was to have 200 trees @ 300 polys each that would be too high, but there are only 5 in my scene.
In any case the total poly count in my scene is still way under 12,000. Only the trees are causing problems. Other detailed parts of the scene are rendering fine

Algo(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hmm that is odd, can you post the tree?

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#7]
I am looking over the level itself, , noticed that there were a few 'spikes', geometry errors when running the stl check in max .

Coincidentally the area where the trees were placed is causing the most slowdown anyway, so it might not have been the trees after all.
It could just be the faults in the architecture, like double faces/multiple edges etc. i will know better when I have gone through the faults tomorrow, man, what a pain.
if I run the window at 640X480 then theres no probs, its at the higher res its really bad ,1024X768, but I just want to optimise as much as poss really.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#8]
It must be untidyness of my mesh causing the probs. after tidying up there was an overall improvement in frame rate.
cheersbfor the input guys, apreciated.