Graphics on 3D use a mesh but what about graphics behind 3D?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Graphics on 3D use a mesh but what about graphics behind 3D?

Andy(Posted 2003) [#1]
See subject...

Andy

Caff(Posted 2003) [#2]
You mean like a backdrop behind the 3d? Surely you'd use a quad and slap that in the distance behind everything.

DarkEagle(Posted 2003) [#3]
cameraclsmode

Andy(Posted 2003) [#4]
>cameraclsmode

Looks good, but since it relies on the 2D commands to draw the backgorund, I am interested in knowing if it will work on all graphicscards? Or is it only a problem when drawing 2D on top of 3D?

Andy

DrakeX(Posted 2003) [#5]
you could draw all the stuff with 2d to a texture, texture a quad, stick the quad to the camera, and set its EntityOrder to a higher number than everything else. that way you'd know it wouldn't have the 2d-on-3d issues :)

and for the quad texture, you should use the VRAM flag (i think it's 256). speeds things up a bit.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#6]
I also would recommend doing it with a quad, and using entityorder, as DrakeX suggests.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#7]
I never experienced any troubles using 3D together with 2D. I heared there is a small percentage of old card that don't like the both together. But it shurely doesn't matter if you draw 2D on 3D or 3D on 2D or even 3D on 2D on 3D on 2D (afaik).

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#8]
I have used (and will use) 2D background, with 3D on top of that and on top of THAT text (for my game menu). No problems whatsoever so far, and gfx is crispy (unlike 3D quad).

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#9]
Some games use multiple patchwork quads to create a single hi-res background image. Looks very nice and you can use 3D effects on it (rotate, alpha, burnout etc).

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#10]
Anyone other than jfk got much experience with using 2d sprite commands with 3D? I'd really like to use it to put some overlays (num lives, bullets whatever) on 3D games. So much nicer than fooling with quads (or pixies!)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#11]
Nicer? I think not. FONText is the way to go. IMHO. :)

Why?

Cos you can do animated text curves, anti-aliasing, transparency, variable scaling, resolution independent HUDs. Just a few of the many reasons why 2D over 3D just doesn't cut it.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#12]
What's FONText?

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#13]
Click the link in my sig.