Milkshape Help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Milkshape Help

Tyler(Posted 2003) [#1]
Halo everybody. I'm trying to take models from Maya to Milkshape, then into Blitz, and I'm getting fairly odd results. I'm exporting out of Maya to .OBJ, from there I import into milkshape, animate as desired, texture, and export as Dirext X file. One file so far has worked semi-ok with that method ... others have come out side ways, gigantic or pulled apart. Any secrets I can get from succesfful folk? Thanks.

jondecker76(Posted 2003) [#2]
I too have been looking for some decent milkshape tutorials

morduun(Posted 2003) [#3]
Tyler, you're a lot better off exporting as a .b3d from Milkshape. Blitz doesn't support DX8 format .x files, and you need DX8 format for boned animations.

What exactly do you need help with? Milkshape's a bit weird to come to grips with at first but it's surprisingly solid once you get past its quirks. Most helpful are the infamous AVI tutorials for MS3D; they should have a link to em off the main Milkshape site.

Tyler(Posted 2003) [#4]
Well, i've got a 720 frame animated character in the traditional "one expression after the other" fashion with walk, run, side-step and all. He was made in Maya, and is not one solid mesh, but a "mass" of objects representing a human body like "Chest" and "Left_Arm" and "Right_Thigh". This method of animation and exporting worked for DarkBasic ... [gripe]just about the only thing that worked [/gripe] Anyhow, Whenever I export with .X, the model comes out on it's side, although now I understand why it isn't working so well, if Blitz doesn't support DX8 .x files ... but when I import .b3d of the same model, and scale it, the arms become detached from the body. Any ideas that would normally be obvious that I may be missing? Thanks

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
How exactly are you scaling it? I've seen problems like people using ScaleMesh on skeletal animated models when they should be using ScaleEntity.

John Blackledge(Posted 2003) [#6]
Someone a while ago dropped in the suggestion that for importing/exporting with MS3D you should first import, then save as a .MS3D file, then reload the .MS3D, then export in your desired format.
There's a weird logic to that, and worth trying.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#7]
You guys need to look at Psionics web site for some MilkShape tuytorials - especially where Blitz is concerend.

It can be found on the links page from the forum.

IPete2.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#8]
John Blackledge is right. It's always good to save it to MS3D's native format first. You should probably scrap the DirectX format and use .B3D format instead when exporting. In addition, if it's a unibody model, you can 'Weld' the pieces together before exporting(when exporting to DX, it always seems to break apart into separate groups for me).

I've posted one tutorial on my site on retexturing the Military Essentials models. My intent is to continue adding tutorials for the MS3D as well. Are there any specific Milkshape tutorials you think people would prefer (or are under-documented?)