CShop and B3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/CShop and B3d

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey team!

This may be of some use to CShop and b3D users.

I'm sure some of you see a difference between CShop renders and B3D renders.

I have found that levels look darker in B3D than in CShop. Increasing the ambient light only makes things murkier.

After a quick e-mail to Halo we have found that if you simply take the light map and increase the brightness and fiddle with the contrast a little you'll find everything looks more or less the same in B3d.

I use Photoshop Elements and found taking the lightmap into Photoshop and increasing the brightness level by 40% and tweaking the contrast sorts out the 'problem'.

Now my levels look like CShop renders - cool!

I hope this helps...

Regards,

IPete2.

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#2]
hmm....never noticed this...gonna try it myself :-)

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#3]
SopiSoft,

Yeah I noticed some shots on the community forum which looked really good, and could not understand why my stuff looked so dark.

Maybe it is just some graphics cards/drivers?

IPete2.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#4]
Maybe it is just some graphics cards/drivers?

I don't think so. There's been a lot of discussion about it on the forum. Nice tip btw, I'll be sure to make a note of the 40%.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#5]
Maybe your gamma in your games is different than the gamma in windows. Or maybe your monitor is remembering different settings in the game than in windows.

Or maybe the way Halo is lighting the levels works differently than it's supposed to and thus looks brighter than it should?

Or is the lightmap output in PNG format? Because Blitz and some othe rprograms sometimes load PNG's very dark.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#6]
Blitz3D doesn't allow all the texture blending options OpenGL does.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#7]
Well, as I said, increasing the brightness and contrast on the lightmaps really does the job, it was Halo's idea, I just experimented a bit.

It looks very much like it did in CShop, and that's what I was after.
:)

Oh I forgot to add you should also use:

entityfx mapname,1

This helps show it.

karmacomposer(Posted 2003) [#8]
As a long time newbie (he he he), I am having troubles importing a b3d file (using cartography shop 3.02) into Blitz 3D.

Can anyone help with this - as in a skeleton loader complete with mouselook, etc. So that I can create b3d files and load them in to test them out and walk through them?

Thanks

RifRaf(Posted 2003) [#9]
Where did you get cshop3.02 demo? I had 3.01 I have full version patch but its still 3.01 after the patch.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#10]
There is no 3.02 demo. The 3.02 patch is only sent to registered users. Check out Halo's Cartography Shop forum on the DBPro board for instructions on how to get it. ( Assuming you are a registered user, I don't think it's available to patch the demo. )

RifRaf(Posted 2003) [#11]
My bad, Josh sent me the 3.01 Full Patch, but nto the 3.02 I sent him an email.. thanks