does B3D actually support weighted vertices?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/does B3D actually support weighted vertices?

DrakeX(Posted 2003) [#1]
i know the B3D format has a place for the vertex weights, and i remember a while ago someone saying that B3D didn't actually do anything with these weights. well i'd like to know: does it? i can't really test this as i only have one modeller, Milkshape, which doesn't support vertex weights, and my demo of CharacterFX ran out and of course i can't just reinstall it.

so just a simple yes/no: do weighted vertices work in B3D?

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#2]
No, and I don't think you'll see support added until someone sends Mark an example model worthy of the effort.

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#3]
hehe ouch :)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
"No, and I don't think you'll see support added until someone sends Mark an example model worthy of the effort."

Is this the official line? Because I've never heard this before. But if this is true there are several people (including me) who can send him a high quality example model.

DrakeX(Posted 2003) [#5]
ok

Rob(Posted 2003) [#6]
Is that the official line? if so, I can rustle up one using b3d format. Eventually...

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#7]
Of if anyone has something cool in LightWave (.LWO/.LWS)with weighted verts, the LightWave converter should export the weights to .B3D accurately.

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#8]
Well Markio is definately looking a bit sad, so in the interests of sexing up the castle demo BRING IT ON!

And if the weighted version is worthy then I'll personally attempt to motivate his highness.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#9]
LightWave converter should export the weights to .B3D accurately.

But they won't still show up (because there's no Blitz support), right? :)

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#10]
Not unless you have a software player that is:)

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#11]
And if the weighted version is worthy

Believe me, it will be... as a gfx-artist I'd say it's just as useful as "type"s, although I personally still have trouble seeing their (types) worth. I guess it's some sort of "vice versa" situation, code-ppl not seeing vertex weighting "useful" or "needed"?

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#12]
Artists / Graphics , who really needs em?

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#13]
Artists / Graphics , who really needs em?

Judging by the numerous desperate cries for help, I'd say 99% Blitz of coders... but we don't need them. :)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#14]
"Not unless you have a software player that is"

Ultimate Unwrap can be used to view b3d models with blended vertex weights. It's not perfect (the algorithm UUwrap uses for calculating vertex positions is kind of sloppy) but Ultimate Unwrap is the only tool I know of which supports blended vertex weights and can import animted b3d models.

"Well Markio is definately looking a bit sad, so... BRING IT ON! ...I'll personally attempt to motivate his highness."

Will do! I estimate a week (I can't get around to this right away.) Do you want something which looks like Markio, only better modeled and animated, or are you looking for some sort of updated design/unique character?

DrakeX(Posted 2003) [#15]
"Well Markio is definately looking a bit sad"

how true, he's not even textured right :)

"I personally still have trouble seeing their (types) worth"

if you can't figure out their worth on your own we won't tell you! hehe

another useful thing for weighted vertices -- talking. since the corners of the mouth have to come in further than the vertices between the corners and the middle, the corners have to have more weight than them.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#16]
@Mustang - True the weights exported from the converter won't show up in blitz yet.

I meant using the convertor as a medium to export a weighted model to .B3D for Mark to play around with.

It's unlikely that Mark has Lightwave, 3D Studio Max or Maya, so sending him .MAX/.LWO/etc. files without converting them to .B3D might not get you too far.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#17]
I estimated a week... How like me to shoot off an overly optimistic time estimate, forgetting that I'll be packing everything I own into boxes in a couple days to move to Rhode Island. I'll still do this animated model, but it'll be longer than my original estimate. In the meantime, I think I'll quickly throw together an animated sample using an old model I have lying around (perhaps the first character in the "interactive" section of my 3DArteest site.)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#18]
(bumping back to top of forum)
I uploaded a quick and dirty test of my -Adele- model with blended vertex weights, exported to b3d file format. I'm not sure the weights are normalized correctly actually so this may not be a very useful sample. Still, you can download (60K) from my thread in "User Creations." Included with the download is code to view the model animated; even without blended vertex weights support it looks alright except in specific problem areas like the hips and stomach.

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#19]
Please see
TeraBit's post