Forcing a texture not to fuzz out

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Forcing a texture not to fuzz out

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've got quite a large cubey type of object on the screen that is my playarea, its quite a size and goes off a fair bit into the distance.

BUT.. as its textured (with a grid texture) - as you look into the distance it tends to go fuzzy. I know this comes down to my video card, but is there anything I can do to improve its appearance ? (if only for this one object)

Thanks Paul.

Ziltch(Posted 2003) [#2]
Check out the TextureFilter command in the help.

To quote it

By default, the following texture filter is used:

TextureFilter "",1+8

This means that all loaded textures will have color and be mipmapped by default.

You want the mipmapping off, as that is the effect you are talking about.

So TextureFilter "",1 will mean all textures loaded will not have mipmapping. You can also do this for only certain textures.

Also it is important to know that mipmapping is a way of speeding things up, so take that into account as well.

Hope that helps

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
A lot of people think they want to turn of mipmapping but generally find it looks worse. They don't understand why mipmapping is happening and/or what it is doing to improve graphics quality. Basically, the point of mipmapping is to do a sort of antialiasing because the display resolution is too coarse to display the details correctly; without mipmapping the texture will have all sorts of ugly visual artifacts like pixel popping and moire interference patterns.

Mipmapping is necessary unless the display is of infinite resolution (which is of course impossible.) But what this tells you is that you need to increase the display resolution. Running at 640x480 (for example) puts a hard limit on how finely you can see the texture details so turning off mipmapping won't help. Put another way, the only way to increase the resolution of displayed objects and textures is to increase the display resolution (kind of a "duh" fact) so fiddling with mipmapping isn't going to make any difference.

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#4]
Put another way, the only way to increase the resolution of displayed objects and textures is to increase the display resolution (kind of a "duh" fact) so fiddling with mipmapping isn't going to make any difference.
Or you could decrease the texture size. This will only have liited effects however as the screen resolution still defines exactly how many pixels each texel can represent. Turning off Mipmapping is a good way to emulate that "DOOM" look tho'.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#5]
Turning off Mipmapping is a good way to emulate that "DOOM" look tho'

...And I'm pretty sure that you don't mean DOOMIII here... ;)