Realistic smooth Terrains, how?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Realistic smooth Terrains, how?

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#1]
A few questions about terrains.

How do you guys make your terrains smooth? whenever i make a terrain (whether this is in one of the community tools or using an art package) it turns out very 'shakey', as in that my player vehicle bumps around on the terrain.

Also, how do you go at making it look sorta realistic?

Tracer

sswift(Posted 2003) [#2]
Blur your heightmap in photoshop with a gaissuan blur with a radius of 1.0

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#3]
To make them look realistic you've got to colour and shade them correctly... I've got a freebee terrain shader (in my sig) that is a start.

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#4]
sswift,

I do this in Paintshop Pro, but that doesn't seem to help any. (no, i do not have Photoshop, do not intend to buy it either as i already own PSP 7 and 8 :) )

Dr Av,

Yeah, i've got your prog, still waiting for Terrain Shader 2 dude! :)

Tracer

NTense(Posted 2003) [#5]
It may be that you're scaling the terrain too large for the terrain map. If you make the terrain too big, then individual differences in height on the height-map become very obvious, and you end up with "steps" on hillsides.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
This is a very vague question. It would help a lot if you could ask a more specific question (eg. what resolution to use for the heightmap, techniques for texturing, etc.) or post an example for us to critique and/or give tips for improving. I/we have no way of knowing what you mean by "sorta realistic."

Your specific question about the bumping around on the terrain is more to do with your code than the terrain. For example, look at the driver sample included with Blitz3D in the "mak" sample folder. This demo has a simulated suspension system for the car, smoothing out its movement over the bumpy terrain. The suspension system is pretty stiff actually (the car bumps around a lot on uneven terrain) but you could easily modify it to smooth out the car's movement more.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#7]
Tracer, Terrain Shader 2 is available from Idigicon

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#8]
I can't buy TS2 from Idigicon, theres no buy button.
And theres no price!

makakoman(Posted 2003) [#9]
TGD,

Try using either Terragen (tutorial is on BlitzCoder how to make colormaps)
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen

or T2 (a little complicated, but pretty good)

http://www.petra.demon.co.uk/Games/texgen.html

Good Luck,
MK