character parts

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/character parts

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
hey, my characters in a game that's being made are made out of different parts. ie' the head, torso,arms,fore arms, hands. they are all seperate entities joined by pivots via parenting. i was wondering (because i read alot about single surface stuff) if this is gonna be a slow way of going about things? cuase i'd imagine there will be quite a few surfaces. say 16 entities per characters. 8 characters on screen.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Speed isn't the big issue really. The main thing is that the character would have that distinctive and ugly discontinuous look. A single continuous mesh looks better for most characters and uses fewer polygons (since you don't need polygons for the insides of joints.)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
but doing it this way also allow me to make up one animation and apply it to all the characters. this might be the trade off i have to make. thanks :)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#4]
Why are you using pivots. If you position the limbs properly you can still use a single set of animation on all your characters. In my game Rocket Boards (*see my sig) I used 8 different limbed characters that all had the same animation(s).

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
ah, i never knew that. thanks :) i've already checked out your game too, very cool :D considering buying the full version