Dual monitor system

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Dual monitor system

Biggy(Posted 2003) [#1]
In a dual monitor (screen) system is it possible to use the extended portion of the desktop to show an extension of Blitz graphic screen ?
Thanks

Braneloc(Posted 2003) [#2]
One blitz program uses one driver, which renders to one screen.

TWO blitz programs communicating through TCP can use a different graphics driver for each, and use two screens.

Or you can use a massive graphics 3D graphics WINDOW to display stuff (ie, not full screen)

Biggy(Posted 2003) [#3]
Ok Braneloc!
I need full screens, then I think I will try to use TCP (or UPD) communication system.
many thanks!

LAB[au](Posted 2003) [#4]
>One blitz program uses one driver, which renders to one screen.

Dualhead graphic cards render to 2 screens. If it is Nvidia nview enabled, then just put "graphics3D 1600,600,32,1" to have a fullscreen of 1600*600 pixels (on 2 screens), then just make 2 viewports for 2 separate cameras.

It doesn't work with ati cards and hydra drivers, you can just make it windowed in this case.

TCP is worth if it was 2 video cards on 2 separate computers!

Braneloc(Posted 2003) [#5]
Some systems indeed do allow you to setup your system as a "one-wide-screen" - if you have a look under windowsXP display properties, if you can see one or more montitor piccie, (ie, extend my windows desktop onto this monitor ticked instead of a super-wide screen resolution) you are almost certainly setup for different drivers per (full)screen, and attempting to do a super-wide Graphics3D command will result in "unable to set graphics mode".

Of course, if "video mirror" is enabled, you run into a whole set of probs if you try to play a video, not to mention sideways-on monitors, video out and televisions..

One other thing to look at - if you are running dual monitor at the same resolution, you may be able to open a very large window(though it will appear on the default monitor as usual, probably centered not-very-usefully if its super-wide...) big enough to fill the entire desktop, which will then be possible to "re-skin" and use the border as part of the graphic display. There is a "skin.dll" floating around somewhere which will give you "borderless" windows.

(indeed, TCP on two computers and four screens with different viewports is pretty damn awesome ! Who needs a joystick "HAT" with that !! :) I've only done that the once as a test though, lol, need to move some of my monitors for best effect)

If in doubt, try cycling the graphics drivers and checking/setting the screen mode, if it doesn't allow super-wide or does soemthing equally silly, you're stuck with one program per driver. In this case, remember multitasking is your friend and make sure you spare some CPU time...!

Oh, forgot to mention, check the "bugs" forum if you are having probs with the mouse on full-screen/multi-mon.

Good luck !

LAB[au](Posted 2003) [#6]
Turning on "extend my desktop on this monitor" in setup panel, will give you the possibility of having a big(wide) window but for full screen, you will need to install nview and to choose the appropriate settings in it. (believe me I use this feature for each show that I do).

(a bit off topic)
Last experiment we did is with an inflatable sphere (you could enter inside) acting as a screen, image is made of three projections from three computers (communicating through TCP) and is corrected in perspective and geometry, so it appears not deformed on the surface of the sphere.

http://www.lab-au.com/video/index.htm

to see some videos of past events, in the two middle ones you can see some live performance with multiscreen.

last performance pics > http://www.lab-au.com/files/doc/hell%27zo.htm

Braneloc(Posted 2003) [#7]
Indeedy, you'll need to disable the windows way of doing things "extend desktop" and if you are using nview, enable it. (log off/reboot) Under advanced display settings you should have the ability to do a "horizontal span" superwide "monitor" as Lab suggests.

Unfortunately, this has the effect of disabling individual monitor settings & control, since it is shifting everything to the one driver. Also, it gives whacky effects if you have video mirror enabled, forces the start bar across the monitors chosen & disables all "multi-monitor" stuff. Also, you may find many full-screen mode programs that don't allow super-wide displays (ie, locked to the usual 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 etc) having a really hard time running. (There is a reason "superwide" isn't standard, lol)

Of course, it only works with (as lab said) dual-head cards. If you have 2 or more cards to get the extra display, you won't be able to use the "superwide" monitor.

Depends on the setup really, and if you need windows/games functionality or directX full screen most.

(PS, Lab, how big is that sphere thing ?)

LAB[au](Posted 2003) [#8]
The sphere is 16 meters diameter. 250 persons inside, you enter by a revolving door (airlock). Pressure is maintained inside constantly.