Guess what format is this mesh

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Guess what format is this mesh

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#1]
Is not difficult ;-)
Tell format, and say why you think is that :P

sswift(Posted 2003) [#2]
Well I would say 3D Studio because the arms appear to be seperate objects.

However the surface count indicates it is part of a single model, as multiple objects would have multiple surfaces.

And finally, the fact that you can display a frame number indicates that it is not MD2 because there are no commands to return a frame number for MD2.

Therefore my guess is that it is a B3D file, as B3D can support vertex animation through bones, and it can support selerate entities, and the dots of light on the model appear to indicate the locations of bones or the joints of bones.

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#3]
"there are no commands to return a frame number for MD2"
MD2AnimTime() ??

This model seems to be the example for Direct X SDK...

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#4]
It could be 3dstudio, I have a animated Hierarchy based model im using for filler.
and even though it segmented theres only a single texture so blitz treats it as a single surface.
But I would also guess that its b3d format.

Zmatrix

Braneloc(Posted 2003) [#5]
I'm gonna say .X skinned 'cos it looks exactly like the tiny.X in the DX devkit..

However it looks like it has some custom rigid boning (or just vertex manipulation) going on or something to break the corners.

Interesting !

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#6]
Is the xgirl from the mssdk, but is not .x format,
is b3d format :)

Exported .x to .b3d with all retained perfectly with ?

Easy :-) I think is the only tool that does that.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#7]

Exported .x to .b3d with all retained perfectly with ?
Easy :-) I think is the only tool that does that.

Milkshape3D?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
Milkshape can't import .x file format. The only tool I know of which can convert animated .x to b3d is Ultimate Unwrap.

This strikes me as a pretty pointless thread. But then I'm bothering to reply so who am I to talk.

"even though it segmented theres only a single texture so blitz treats it as a single surface."

That's not true. Separate entities are always separate surfaces, regardless of whether or not they share textures. Different textures only matter as far as surfaces within a single entity.

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#9]
Infact, Ultimate Unwrap 3D 2.0 does that beautifully !

It retains: bones, animation, it imports scaling also the animation and adjusting rotation and centering it automatically, UV and all the info of the dx8 .x file.

And in 1 click you have your boned .b3d walking around, perfect.

I think this is amazing!

This means now almost ANY 3dgraphic package could export a character suitable for blitz3D :)

We are just waiting smooth vertex deforming now :)

Yooo-hooo !

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#10]
I am very happy with Unwrap3D's converter. It actually works! Imagine that!

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#11]
"This means now..."

This has been possible in Ultimate Unwrap for quite some time now, certainly long before version 2. Not putting anyone down or anything but it is funny that you say this like it is a new thing. I was helping Brad test out his .x import/export months ago (in November I think.) And people wonder why I am always recommending Ultimate Unwrap.

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#12]
Iv been using Unwrap3D for a while, in fact the Mech in my demo was saved from Studio Max as a .x and then converted to .b3d using Unwrap3D. Brad is a good bloke, not all things converted at first but I sent him the model and he updated the plugin and now it works great. I think all Blitz users should have it, they should maybe offer a Blitz bundle like Darkbasic does with CharacterFX?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#13]
Zurk, could I get a copy of that model for some physics tests?

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#14]
I don't see why not, in exchange, may you post your experimentation on it ? :)
(I don't mean the source code)

Download it here

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#15]
Well, I saw so many asking for maya-max plugins, and I don't see any working (with full info retained) around.

That having an animated boned .b3d from one of those package looks brilliant to me :)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#16]
Converting to b3d via .x is VERY useful but ultimately does not take advantage of everything the b3d file format has to offer. Thus the continuing requests for Max/Maya exporters; with a full featured direct exporter you can take advantage of all sorts of features like multiple UV sets, multiple texture layers, pivot points and heirarchy, smoothing groups, etc.

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#17]
I agree jhocking, but in the meantime this is the only solution to export a skinned mesh from those packages.

HALO, have you got the model ?