Pivoting the camera ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Pivoting the camera ?

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#1]
Please Elp!. Been away from Blitz for much too long - cant even remember the basic of things.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the camera to circle around the main character entity. The way I thought of it is to put the camera on a pivot that is connected to the main character - then just rotate that around. Cant for the life of me remember the code to fix the camera to a pivot ??.

Any Help ?. (thanks)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
You parent the camera to the pivot with EntityParent. And you don't rotate the camera, you rotate the pivot.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#3]
create 2 pivots, one on the player and the other on the camera, parent the camera pivot to the player pivot.

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#4]
got that one sorted, thanks guys.

But now.. ;)

I've got a texture loaded up on my shape, I want the shape to be invisible - but still show the texture.

My idea is to use an animated shadow underneath my bod. Gotta show the shadow, but not the quad its painted on. I can use EntityAlpha to hide it a bit - but not fully.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
Masking textures is done in a variety of ways, for different effects. For a shadow you probably want to set the entity to "multiply" blend mode; in multiply blending white becomes transparent so make sure your shadow texture is on a white background. Other ways to mask textures include using the "masked" flag when loading the texture (duh; that just means black pixels become transparent,) alpha transparency (where a separate greyscale image determines transparency values,) and add blend mode (in which black becomes transparent and other values brighten accordingly.)