Mixing 2D and 3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Mixing 2D and 3D

Jack_Norton(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all. In my current game, I made a front screen with a nice fade in/out button made with quads in 3D to use alpha blending.
But after this part, the rest of the game is all in pure 2D directdraw. Some testers are experiencing slow-downs on some systems.
If, after my main screen (which I initialized with graphics3D), I switch back to normal 2D (using Graphics) I may get better performances?

Thanks for the help :)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
I would recommend sticking with 2D for compatibility if everything but the front end is 2D.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#3]
Me too. You are requiring your end users to have a 3d accelerated graphics card, just so you can do a fade effect on the front screen. This is a bad idea, since people without 3d accelerated graphics cards, who could otherwise run your game just fine, now can't.

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#4]
There are not many GFX cards left that do not run 3D in some way tho...
And those left often resides in computers so slow/old they won't be able to play a DX7 game anyway.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#5]
That isn't actually true. A lot of computers that aren't set up for running games don't have 3d acceleration.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#6]
Even the cheapest of computer sold these days comes with SOME form of 3D capable card though. It would be hard to buy a computer without, at the very least, a TNT2 or something in it.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#7]
True, but if the user is to incompetent to install the drivers then 3D isn't an option. My school has craploads of TNT2 based systems on which I can't play Juno because they do not have drivers installed. Granted most computer shops will put them on for you, but you never know.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#8]
The thing is, in this case, would you want to install a driver, just so you can have a fade effect on the intro screen of a game you could otherwise play without the driver?

If you were using 3d stuff in the game as well, then it would make sense.

wedoe(Posted 2003) [#9]
If you were using 3d stuff in the game as well, then it would make sense.
True.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#10]

Even the cheapest of computer sold these days comes with SOME form of 3D capable card though

There are still tons of computers out there that only have 2D support (I'm using one here at work, there are loads of laptops with only 2D support, etc); why cut off a potential userbase just for a title screen?