Quad + Large texture

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Quad + Large texture

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi I know large images in 2D are a big no-no, what if i created a quad and put a huge texture on it say... 1024x1024, or higher, I've done this and it seems to run fine on my rig, Geforce 4Ti & Athlon 2.0Gig, will this cause problems with older vid cards and performace drops on lower CPUS's

I guessing it does, just need to know for sure.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#2]
coffee,

Yes, it will cause problems on some older video cards, I seem to recall a problem with many of them being limited to textures of 512x512.

Not sure what the result was though, i.e. whether it was really slow or whether the texture just didn't show up at all!

I'm sure someone smarter than me will clarify!

Cheers,

Ryan

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#3]
It doesn't matter about the texture size at all, the texture can b1 1x1 and it'll still be as slow. And it does cause massive slowdowns on older cards.
We were discussing it here
http://www.blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=21209

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
Although he didn't specifically state this I get the sense that he means he wants to display the image fullscreen, in which case Enay is correct. The problem is with fillrate, how quickly pixels are drawn to the screen, and not with the image dimensions. Even a large texture displays quickly if applied to a small area of the screen (eg. a single character seen at an average distance.)

Note however that if the fullscreen image is pretty much all that is onscreen it shouldn't be a problem; the performance slowdowns come from combining a fullscreen image with additional complexities like a level. Furthermore note that fillrate is very sensitive to resolution so a problem at 1024x768 may not be a problem at 640x480; make sure to give players an option to change resolution for older computers.