B3D Animated Models

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/B3D Animated Models

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2003) [#1]
I`m just starting out with B3D and have hit the "grey area" that I think makes a loty of ppl give up the 3D flame as scuttle back to 2D.

What is the best way to get an animated model into Blitz when:

Creating from scratch and animating.
Converting an existing model (MDL, SMD, 3DS etc)

Thanks.

------------------
rIKmAN
rik@...
P4 2.53Ghz | 512Mb DDR400 RAM | 200Gb ATA133 HD | GeForce3 Ti500 | SB Audigy | 4x DVD-Writer

Drago(Posted 2003) [#2]
Milkshape and Unwrap3d are good at the conversion side, and there is that program I told you about on Blitzcoder for turning SMD's to B3D's.

For the Creating from scratch it depends on what software you can use.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
For conversion those two tools are the way to go. I think the latter is actually capable of any conversion the former can do plus a few others (eg. it can load .x file format) but both are very useful tools and both are cheap.

For creating from scratch just about any 3D art tool is useful but the cheapest animation tool which can export directly to b3d file format is CharacterFX. You'll need to model and texture elsewhere (Milkshape and Ultimate Unwrap are useful for those purposes) but then CharacterFX has excellent animation tools.

starfox(Posted 2003) [#4]
Actually the Bone Collector is the cheapest direct .b3d exporter.;)

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2003) [#5]
I think it just seems almost impossible to get any existing animated characters into Blitz easily.

I`m no artist and need models to use as placeholders to get an engine up and running which would attract artists.
To do this however I need models in the first place.

Catch 22 :(

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#6]
its really quite simple to get animated models into Blitz. If you create them in Milkshape/CharacterFX then you can just simply export as .b3d.
If you have created the animated models in Max/Character Studio you can use Valves´´ smd exporter and then use Milkshape to convert to .b3d.
If you need placeholder models have a look at Psionics´site - you can get to it from the ´links´ area.

For examples of the Max to .b3d via Milkshape have a look at:
http://www.freewebs.com/smiff/b3danimations.htm

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#7]
check my Tutorial on BlitzCoder.com on SMD -> b3d

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2003) [#8]
TigerZ: I have followed through your tutorial a few times, and each time I get the same thing happeneing.
I can load in the main SMD and get it to animate with any ONE of the animation SMD files - this exports and works.

However, when I try to load a 2nd animation SMD and append it, the first one is lost except for a few frames.

I have tried selecting yes & no from the "Append" dialogue box that appears, but they both seem, to have the same effect.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#9]
@.rIkmAN.
try making sure animated is on and then move the slider to the last frame so it appends the new file to the end of the already loaded animation :)

mearrin69(Posted 2003) [#10]
If you just need placeholders maybe you could grab some MD2s off polycount.com? They have everything from robots to cartoon characters. If you need B3D specifically then I guess that's not going to work though.
M

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2003) [#11]
sinu: Sorry for the late reply but yeah, you hit my problem right on the head.

I`m such a n00b :)