how capable is blitz3D?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/how capable is blitz3D?

Bremer(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi, I was wondering just how capable blitz3D is graphics wise. I mean is it possible to create games that will as visually nice as Quake3, Unreal2? Or is it more along the lines of Quake2 and Half Life?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#2]
That really depends on whether you're capable of creating the same kind of models, textures and animations that are in Quake 3 and Unreal 2. I'd say it's definitely capable of Quake 3 quality. Unreal 2 involves pixel shaders and stuff that Blitz can't do, but the vast majority of the quality of U2 is excellent level design and fantastic textures.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2003) [#3]
Look at the new reflection map demo. It's very high quality and shows that Blitz is capable of near Quake 3 quality. Of course Blitz is Direct X 7.0 based so it would be more comparable to the Unreal Tournament engine. Of course now there is better hardware so larger res textures and stuff can be used. Let's just say you won't have a problem creating a visually impressive game.

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#4]
I would say Quake3+ quality in a shooter.

Like Sybixsus said, If you are capable of creating game content like unreal 2(no easy task for even a small team)
Then you could probably pull it off...without some of the Effects.
You can certainly make a visualy apealing Game , no doubt.

Zmatrix

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#5]
zawran,

There are a few demos around you should look at if you haven't already.

(1) BSP demo - using a Quake 2 or 3 map with Mark's "Markio" character running around showing off BSP.

(2) That new demo with Cube Mapping as mentioned above.

(3) Halo has a demo called Singularity, nice work with some nice features.

(4) Chateau Pregny (I think is what it is called) is also a very good example of where the B3d community is with 3D shooters.

All these are pretty good examples, however, you have to remember that most of us are really only amateurs and semi-pro game designers/programmers/artists.

There are a many in our community who actually earn a living in at least one aspect of the industry though, JP (Zed Two), Swift (of 'System Shock 2' fame - I think), Anthony (Platypus and others), to name only a few that I know of...

Sybixus said it all really - the question you should be asking is how good are you?

If you have the talent there is a heck of a lot which B3d can give you if you ask it nicely. Blitz 3D is nice and accessible too - which is very important if you are keen to make rapid progress on projects.

Granted, it is not without weaknesses, but I have not seen a better - low priced language yet.

It is the leader of its kind in my book.

Of course there is still plenty of room for improvements and new features...(he he he and thanks to Mark we'll get quite a few of them too I have no doubt!).

Regards,

IPete2.
SmartScreen Digital Media Limited.