UT 2k3 SoftShadow?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/UT 2k3 SoftShadow?

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#1]
Ive seen the soft shadows on Unreal Tournament 2003, they really amaze me and made me wondered how they did it, i mean, it looks really really good and very very fast, does anyone have a clue about it? I hear EpicBoy might have some insight :D

poopla(Posted 2003) [#2]
Im guessing multipass stencil buffer stuff. In other words, not efficiently doable in blitz :).

Warren(Posted 2003) [#3]
I believe the model shape is rendered to a low res texture and then the texture is projected onto the world (like other projectors in the game). I don't believe it's stencil.

I don't know all the techy bits behind it though, sorry. :)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
If that's how its done then it is just like Sswift's shadow system (only his system doesn't blur out the shadow to get the soft shadow look.) He may want to look into blurring the shadow image to get that look.

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#5]
what impresses me is the blurring, it looks alot like SoftShadow technique, where the closer the object is, the crispier the shadow is, and vice-versa

sswift(Posted 2003) [#6]
"(only his system doesn't blur out the shadow to get the soft shadow look.)"

Ohhhh yes it does!

I just haven't released it to the public yet.

Well I did give a copy to one fellow. But it's incomplete, I jus thaven't copied the code to the static shadow routines, and I was holding off till I did distance based fading from entity centers.

"what impresses me is the blurring, it looks alot like SoftShadow technique, where the closer the object is, the crispier the shadow is, and vice-versa"

I suppose this is the next thing people are going to ask me to add. :-)

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#7]
oh... if you could implement that, im sure ull get at least 1 more sale (if you know what i mean) ;)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#8]
wow! can you add where the closer the object is, the crispier the shadow is, and vice-versa?

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#9]
wow! can you add where the closer the object is, the crispier the shadow is, and vice-versa?
Ofcourse you can. It's just more weighting to the blurring. Or if you're clever you do it all with the alpha chanel. But you'll need a fast edge detection routine...

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2003) [#10]
You will have another customer as well if you put blurring on :)

Caff(Posted 2003) [#11]
Possibly another here as well... who knows.