particles

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/particles

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
hey, this problem i have had is driving me absolutly mad. i didn't wanna post here till i put in a good effort in tryin to solve it. the problem i have is this.

particle emitters created
particle receivers created

loop
create actual particle
move particles
check slider (the slider changes value, but i have made it put in the same values)
end loop

now, when one of the properties of the particle system are changed, all the particles, emitters and receivers are deleted. then recreated. but when recreated:

p.particle=new particle

p\ent=createpivot()

position p\ent,0,0,0

it says that entity doesn't exist and highlighs the position statement

anyone any clue why this is happening. oh to make it worse, it happens randomly............

DJWoodgate(Posted 2003) [#2]
Based on what you have posted it looks like a problem with blitz doesn't it? If these statements are sequential...
p.particle=new particle
p\ent=createpivot()
position p\ent,0,0,0
Then it could be nothing else could it...

Except I recall you were talking in another thread about creating massive numbers of pivots. So maybe you have run out of memory. Maybe you are not freeing all your pivots or meshes properly? A memory leak like that would cause problems sooner or later.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
yeah, that's what i was thinking about. the number of pivots being freed and created again and again was one of the things i was thinking of. guess it's time to recycle them. thanks for the responce DJ :)

poopla(Posted 2003) [#4]
Dude, you should NOT need that many pivots. I didnt post on the other forum cause I figured everyone had said it enough. Ive coded probably 10 different particle systems, all imporovements on older systems, but total re codes none the less. I feel qualified to tell you, you are doing things drastically wrong. Your going to make your game/ application Utterly useless with the pivot/particle counts your talking?

Perhaps give us a bit more details on what you want to accomplish, and we can help you make an effective, efficient system.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
plz check you e-mail T-Bogard :)