Lightmapper + Transparent textures question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Lightmapper + Transparent textures question

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi

Ok am I imagining this or did elias_t's lightmapper enable you to have a transparent texture (such as the leaves of a tree) cast a shadow that was based on the texture and not the mesh it was on?

Just that I have been playing about with some lightmappers such as portable lightmapper and quill and they just create the shadow as a rectangle...so did i see this ages ago or am i goin nuts?

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#2]
Hiya.

You mean something like this:

Aslo speaking of effects the compile engine of Phosphore [the sequel of "lightmapper" which will be released and anounced this summer] can now Produce also Radiosity lightmaps. See here:

Anyway , glad that you remeber this old feature of "lightmapper".

Bye.
Elias.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#3]
yeah thats the feature :)

Is your lightmapper still available somewhere elias??

Phosphore is looking really good as well!

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hi.

The "lightmapper" project actually has been abandoned
in the sake of Phosphore.

I don't even remember where my backup cd is :)

Bye.

Mathieu A(Posted 2003) [#5]
Your lightmapping is beautifull!!!!! I hope that you will find your backup CD...

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#6]
Doh! :P

Does anyone have a copy of elias' lightmapper they could upload somewhere? I'm sure someone still has it, hiding it somewhere I bet :)

Hurry up with Phosphore you!

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#7]
@Audrain:thx but I am developing phosphore now. So the old stuff doesn't worry me anymore.

@Cybergoth:the tech in "lightmapper" is pretty old compared
to that in phosphore. You can wait untill I release a first demo. :)

Bye.

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#8]
Mar-ve-lous :)

Mathieu A(Posted 2003) [#9]
What is phosphore?? A game engine , an editor...??

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#10]
It's an editor with lots of stuff in it. It'll be out this summer.

Mathieu A(Posted 2003) [#11]
Very interesting!! It will be a game editor (mesh position, terrain editor, script, etc...) or a 3D editor like Maplet but with radiosity.

It will be free?

I'm very impressed by your work on radiosity. It must be an huge stuff.

I hope that it is a 3D editor because I'm made my own game engine and editor and I'd like some mesh with Radiosity...

Good luck

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#12]
Hi Audrain. It is a map editor with mesh generation-edition.
You will be able to make a whole level with it and lightmap it with various ways.

No it will not be free. But after the release much of the stuff will end up in the code archives.

Also I am writing a mini engine around it that will be open-source.

Bye.
Elias.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#13]
If anyone really wants it (and it's ok with Elias) I have a copy of the last version of the old lightmapper, it really blew me away when it was released.

Darkheart

Mathieu A(Posted 2003) [#14]
yes darkheart I'm very interested!!!

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#15]
yeah if elias doesent mind I'd love a copy too :)

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#16]
ye you don't need my authorization for this. It was kinda public domain software.

Bye.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#17]
Sorry but with you coming out with a new version and everything I wasn't sure if you would be happy with me passing out the old one.

OK boys and girls, you can download it from here, has the demos,sourecode and everything. IMHO the most impressive thing anyone's done with Blitz 3D, excluding my Max Exporter of course ;) .

www.darkheartgames.co.uk/lightmapper0-9-91.zip

Enjoy,

Darkheart

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#18]
THanks elias and darkheart :)

I'd agree about this being one of the most impressive things ive seen in blitz btw.

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#19]
elias_t:

Here are a few suggestions that I have for your lightmapper, world builder.

1. Allow grouping when working with geometry. For example, if I build something with primitives, allow me to group it into a single mesh, instead of having large groups of primitives lying around. But don't make ALL geometry part of one single mesh (so that one can moving doors, etc., out of simple geometry, and then move it in the game).

2. Have an easy system for assigning the name string to entities. The easiest way of storing properties of entities is the name string.

3. Be able to set some things non-light-mapped.

4. Importable geometry!

Other than that, I can't wait to get my hands on phosphore! Looks amazing!

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#20]
Hi . The things you are suggesting are already in for ages :) .

The list of features will come soon when many things get finalized.

One cool among others is the ability to export to 3ds.

Bye.

RedRidingHood(Posted 2003) [#21]
That sounds amazing, can't wait to try it. :)

inneractive(Posted 2003) [#22]
DarkHeart I downloaded the lightmapper0-9-91.zip and Ad-Aware found a Data Miner in it from Brilliant Digital. It most likely came from using Kazaa.

Description:
Sells your hard drive space, CPU cycles, and bandwidth.

News Snippet from CNET:
-In April, Kazaa users inundated Brilliant Digital Entertainment with complaints when they discovered that the most recent version of the company's 3D ad technology software, which is bundled with the Kazaa file-sharing program, contained licensing terms that allowed the company to claim "unused computing power and space" on a person's PC.-

John-Robin(Posted 2003) [#23]
Elias_T; count me in for buying phosphore!

RedRidingHood(Posted 2003) [#24]
*bump*

How is phosphore coming? I'm still interested. :)

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#25]
Hi.

It is coming very good along.

In a month or so I guess.

I am finalizing many things now. The compiler is very fast and produces very high quality stuff.
It also takes some more time to me because I am writing an engine around phosphore.

In a few days or so I will post some more info.

Bye.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#26]
Lovely! Is that lightmapping realtime, or am I missing the point?
Really nice.

RedRidingHood(Posted 2003) [#27]
Sound intriguing. Now I have some more questions but I'll wait until after you post the info you were planning to post.
Thanks for replying. :)

elias_t(Posted 2003) [#28]
Hi.

@Enay. No it is not realtime. It is precompiled.

@Juniper. Because some features might not gonna make it to the final release this is why I don't post much on the features yet.

In the meantime take a look here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=25013