mip-mapping distance

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/mip-mapping distance

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
hey, me again ^_^

is there anyway to increase the mpi mapping distance because my game looks terrible with cleartexturefilters() applied but looks equally as bad with the mip-mapping, because it starts mip mapping very close to the camera. is it dependant on camerarange, or is there another to change it.

Oh and what happened to AntiAlias??

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#2]
It's strictly dependant on the texture's size on screen, isn't it?

DJWoodgate(Posted 2003) [#3]
I think it is possible to alter the bias, but blitz does not allow that. It has been requested though.

Maybe you could increase your texture size. You could also try looking into some of the driver options on your Gforce. I don't have a Gforce but there might be loads of bells and whistles there that you can tweak to improve things, like Anisotropic filtering and the like. There might even be an option to adjust lod bias for mipmaps.

Needless to say of course whatever you do more detail usually means less performance.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
Make sure your textures are a square power of two.

32x32
64x64
128x128
256x256
512x512

This will almost certainly help.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#5]
Oh and what happened to AntiAlias??

An excellent question. I just asked the same question in the B3d Bug Reports forum.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
Altering the bias (ie. the mip-mapping distance) would be very useful. I'll have to add my vote to the request. In my current project the main character is usually seen from a relatively distant viewpoint (it is a 3rd person game) and the mipmapping blurs out his face.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#7]
ok, thanks for your replys :D, most helpful