Text Command Inquiry

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Text Command Inquiry

yinch(Posted 2003) [#1]
It is known that writing Text directly to the texture buffer does not work on all cards. i.e.
SetBuffer TextureBuffer(aTexture)
Text 10, 10, "Write On!"

And I have been advised that the best thing to do is to write to the backbuffer and then CopyRect the contents to the texturebuffer. i.e.
SetBuffer BackBuffer()
Text 10, 10, "Write Off!"
CopyRect 0,0,256,256,0,0, BackBuffer(), TextureBuffer(aTexture)

This is fine, except what if I want to write to a texture that is bigger than the BackBuffer?
Should I use an ImageBuffer instead - are they more reliable for writing onto?

The problem that I have is that with my gfx card, writing to the texturebuffer DOES work - so I can't check if using imagebuffer will fail/work on the machines that cannot write directly to the texturebuffer.

yinch'03

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2003) [#2]
use multiply copyrects. Copy first the left side of the image, then the right, or something similar.

big10p(Posted 2003) [#3]
Won't you have more of a compatibility issue using a texture buffer bigger than BackBuffer?

yinch(Posted 2003) [#4]
I don't think so - the texture buffer is attached to a texture which is mapped onto an entity and is quite independent of the rendering backbuffer.

Just as a simple example, a 512x512 texture is not uncommon and can be used on a 640x480 screen.

y'03

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#5]
Aren't there cards out there that don't support textures of that size? (voodoo??) I am not sure tho.

Tracer