light map questions?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/light map questions?

gellyware(Posted 2003) [#1]
I would like to know how do you apply lightmaps to a 3d model. Can this be done with programming or do you have to purchase an external lightmapping software? Is the lightmap an added texture map to the model? i.e. If you have a terrain, you make your heightmap and texturemap, but what about lighting? How does this work?

gellyware(Posted 2003) [#2]
also side question, does anyone have any idea how to print the entire blitz command refererence in one swoop instead of clicking a topic and printing it individually?

I would like to print the entire list of commands/examples in 1 try :)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
Lightmaps are greyscale textures layered on with multiply blending. Lightmaps can be generated using code from the Code Archives like YAL or you can simply use a tool with lightmapping functionality like Maplet or Lightbulb.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#4]
Terrain shader will add lighting to your terrains, check my sig.

big10p(Posted 2003) [#5]

Lightmaps are greyscale textures layered on with multiply blending. Lightmaps can be generated using code from the Code Archives like YAL or you can simply use a tool with lightmapping functionality like Maplet or Lightbulb.

Did you mean additive blending? You are probably right as I don't know much about lightmaps and such, and I've still no idea what muliply blending is used for. :O

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#6]
Greyscale? Maplet and Lightbulb produce color lightmaps.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#7]
additive blending makes things lighter. White is visible and black is transparent (since black is number 0 and 0 added to something would make no difference)

Multiply blend mode works in the opposite way making light colours less transparent thus creating shadows where there are dark areas.

And yes... lightmaps can be coloured.

AFAIK what people here call lightmaps are actually shadow maps since they add shadow to the model. Lightmaps would use additive blending and increase the brightness of the model. I believe this is something HALO is looking at adding to Cartography shop (but don't hold me to that)