Why is Quake3 bsp / general multitexturing flawed?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Why is Quake3 bsp / general multitexturing flawed?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#1]
It is clearly duller.
Darkbasic pro's dx8 Q3 rendering is sharp and true to the opengl original. Blitz3D's isn't - the multitexturing is flawed.

It is either DX7 or Blitz's code. In addition to this, a mesh loaded with simple multitexturing under DX8 is clearly brighter and more vibrant than the same level multitexutured under Blitz.

Why is this so? I believe it's finally time to discuss DX9 - not for features but for rendering alone.

BlitzPlus can take care of the 2D.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#2]
Perhaps gamma will help?
Perhaps a new blend mode is needed?

I would like to see the inclusion of a new blend mode before screaming DX9...

sswift(Posted 2003) [#3]
There is a blend mode which multiplies the texture color by 2 before applying the multiply blend map to it. This has become popular to use because it works in such a way that where the lightmap is grey, the texture is unaffected, where it is white, it is brightened by 2x, and where it is black the texture is completely dark. Normal lightmapping can only make textures darker than they originall were.

You can probably achieve a similar effect by simply doubling the brightness of all your textures ahead of time.

You might want to do this with some kind of exponential filter though so that you don't lose color information in areas which are already at maximum brightness and get clamping artifacts.

You can also achieve a similar effect by adjusting the gamma ramp as you said.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
sswift, would you mind outlining the DX blend more clearly? I'd like to make a request that this blend mode be added to Blitz because it is pretty much kick ass.