Current Bun

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Current Bun

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi.

I'm trying to create a realistic looking sun for me game. I've made various attempts but, alas, a load of donkey vomit at my umpteenth attempt is what they look like :(

Would some kind person donate one? Please... Pretty please...?

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#2]
DO YOU NEED THE SUN TO BE AN ACTUAL OBJECT, OR JUST A NICE, BRIGHT, GLOWY SHAPE IN THE DISTANCE?

oops soz for caps.

Do you want it to look how the sun looks on a bright sunny day, or how stars look in sci-fi films - or even - do you want solar flares etc etc....

Please be a little more specific.

Tbear in mind, the 'Glow' code in the Archivves did me fine for an FPS game sun.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
i would just use a sprite and have it always face the camera.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
If you need it to move use a sprite. But if not just have the sun painted on your sky texture.

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#5]
Solar Riot Flares are the kinda thing I want. Great big ole current buns that I scoop some fuel from (assuming I have a fuel scoop, the latest word in shielding and instrumentation, and more balls than brains). Thats what I imagine. Some way to influence the appearance/active cycle from just simmering to blowing it's lid, from navigable with caution to unapproachable in the extreme. Then I can scale em up or down? swap the texture? to make different suns in different solar systems?

I would like to reduce the complexity of the sun object at great distances so that I can maximum space ships scurrying to and fro. But when up close it's the `main thing` that the game is doing.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#6]
Heh! That's about a gazillion times more complex than anyone assumed... :o)

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#7]
A reallynicely-textured Sphere (Animated texture)
Plus a sprite to give it a real Lminescence effect, combined with I would suggest complex particles for the flares.
unfortunately, I am not good enough to put the theory into practice.

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#8]
For inspiration check out the SOHO Mission - (click the Sun Now box on left).

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#9]
Nice one, Simon!

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#10]
Cheers guys. I don't think I'm gonna get what I dream of - but thanks for the guidance and inspiration. I'll punch on with me donkey vomit. :/

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#11]
Show us some piccies of how you get on, if ya can... I'm sorry I aint that much help, but Im very interested in this now.

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#12]
I think I'm gonna go with the sprite and sphere combinant as that should be within my grasp. Resplendant current buns will go on the `back burner` for now.

DarkEagle(Posted 2003) [#13]
create a particle system for the flares - but have gravity towards the centre of the sun rather than just downwards... then just create a stream of particles randomly or however you want! :)

BlackJumper(Posted 2003) [#14]
Does this problem share elements of the "Hairy Balls" thread which was aired a couple of months (or more) ago ? Isn't the Sun just a 'hairy ball' where the hairs are tendrils of burning plasma ?

Can't remember if I actually loaded and ran that code, but folks seemed impressed at the time - might be worth a look... see Masterbeaker's Hairy Balls in the Code Archives/3D Graphics

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#15]
Yup, I tried to make a star using Masterbeakers hairy balls - I got `close - but no cigar`.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#16]
How about some pictures of the donkey vomit in action?

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#17]
No chance! Thanks for the interest tho... I did not expect that.

Graythe(Posted 2003) [#18]
Eureka! Digestive juices a donkey! Pah. Found some old bitmaps in e-mail archive. Heh! :D They are 300*300 res but... they are a significant improvement. An upgrade in fact. Hi Ho! Hi ho - a little bit further we go, I strummed and I bashed but then Windows crashed, Hi ho hi ho hi ho.