level decoration help (editing b3d files)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/level decoration help (editing b3d files)

AvestheFox(Posted 2003) [#1]
what's the best way of adding objects to your b3d levels?.. I create a level in Maplet.. but really.. its not complete without the 3d decorations of fences, boulders, tables, barrels, etc, etc.. what's the best way of adding such to a b3d file?

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#2]
I'd say LightBulb. But then I'm biased... ;)
So if you don't want to believe me, check out this post :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=22073

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
Lightbulb is a good way. Basically you could use a placement editor (ie. a tool which can't create new meshes but can load pre-created models to place in the scene) and Lightbulb certainly is that among other things.

Still, I would say do the decorating in a 3D modeling tool (ie. where you create the decorations.) Among other advantages this would allow you to custom fit your decorations to the level (whereas going with a placement editor you have no reference of the level when creating the decorations.) Since you are using Maplet you will probably need to convert from b3d to some other file format using Ultimate Unwrap. Import the Maplet level and don't manipulate it within your modeling tool. Decorate it and then delete the Maplet level, leaving the decorations. Save that and then load both the Maplet level and the decorations in your game.

semar(Posted 2003) [#4]
Another solution (that happens to be the one I'm using now) is:
- Terabit's Decorator to texture the .b3D file
- Rob's Droplet to place customized waypoints and objects

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
Ah yes, Droplet is another good placement editor you could use. I think that one is free but note that Lightbulb can lightmap the objects you add and/or create a new lightmap for the Maplet level which takes the added objects into account.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#6]
Nice to see droplet being advertised!

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#7]
Quill 3D?

regards,

IPete2

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#8]
The combination of Maplet,Droplet and Decorator is very good but if you can try and get hold of Quill3d.
Quill3d will do all of the above + modelling, UVmapping etc all in one app and export everything as one .b3d file ! Plus you can see and place your meshes in situ !
Quill3d is the most complete and comprehensive level builder for the .b3d format available. The imminent update will allow you import meshes as brushes - how cool is that !

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#9]
The trouble with combining all your 'decorations' into ONE mesh is that you have then lost control over the individual objects. That's why LightBulb uses it's own format and keeps the meshes separate. That way you can assign behaviours/flags to each one individually (sorry if you already know about this - I've talked about it a lot but it's something that still gets overlooked by a lot of people). The review I linked to in the post above goes into more detail.

Anyway, all the programs mentioned are good. I don't want to detract from any of them - try the LB demo and make your own decisions :)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#10]

The trouble with combining all your 'decorations' into ONE mesh is that you have then lost control over the individual objects.

Not ONE mesh - one .B3D file - theres a world of difference.
The additional meshes in the .b3d exported by Quill3d are held as custom nodes with all the information about that entity. The custom nodes can hold any information - not just meshes but triggers, start positions etc. Thats what the .b3d format was created for - Its really not necessary to have seperate files with proprietary formats to store entities.
You have as much control over the seperate entities as you wish.

what's the best way of adding such to a b3d file?

The question asked was how to add this information to a .b3d file not to a proprietory format.

simonh(Posted 2003) [#11]
Aves_Fox - please see this topic for a tool which may be of use to you:

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/bbs/posts.php?topic=22505