collision detection

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/collision detection

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
is using entity raduis faster than using sphere to sphere collisions? or is sphere to sphere collisions using that method already? thanks

SSS(Posted 2003) [#2]
im pritty sure that entity redius is just a command to set the radius of the collision sphere :D

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
sorry, entity distance i meant :S

DrakeX(Posted 2003) [#4]
i guess you mean math-based versus BB's built in collision. well i would guess it would be faster but you'd lose the sliding capabilities, then again sometimes you don't need them.

oh and about your sig -- "Gonna burn some muscle" -- either you burn fat or you build muscle ;) you wouldn't want to be burning muscle

Moses(Posted 2003) [#5]
I would have to say blitz3d's build in collions detection kicks ass, i haven't had a problem with it yet... yet ;)

SopiSoft(Posted 2003) [#6]
Remember that EntityDistance#() isn't REAL collision-checking, but can be used to "say" that two or more objects are colliding...

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#7]
thanks for the reply's ppl!

@drake, my sig comes from the street fighter series. at the end of every episode the narrator would say "Gonna burn some muscle!!". Found that pretty amusing :D

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#8]
@drake you do burn(if that's the word you wanna use) muscle too which is then replaced by new muscle :)