Quill 3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Quill 3D

<Death>(Posted 2003) [#1]
You guys gotta check this out, it's really great!

Modelling and level design, as well as texturing with light maps, all the easy way.

http://quill3d.users.btopenworld.com/index.htm

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Where've you been dude? Quill has been hyped big time around here for at least six months. Personally I was disappointed when I finally got my hands on it but a lot of people love it.

<Death>(Posted 2003) [#3]
Really?

Well, I wasn't talking about the demo, I've got the release a few days ago and it rocks!

If it didn't work for you, then, well, ahem, nevermind...

(of course having a manual really helps...)

It is one of the coolest things out, IMO, you should look at it again. It reminds me a lot of my 3D Studio rel. 3 before it turned into 3DS MAX. Can't beat that for price or utility. I use MAX since it was 3D Studio rel.1, so I know what kind of a good deal (moneywise) Quill really is.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#4]
I havent played much with the modelling section of Quill3d but I can seriously say that the Map Builder is truly incredible - you can create ONE single .b3d file that contains the entire level including e.g. mesh entities, All enemies and NPC's,lights, triggers, starting positions ,doors,lifts, teleporters and anything else you may care to imagine.
It is a cinch to make any type of level interior, exterior or a mixture of both.
Combined with superb lightmapping AND a Portalling System
this module alone is worth the paltry cost !
Its the only tool currently designed specifically for the .b3d format and makes full use of it.
This is not based on hype - It is purely based on usage.
The more you use Quill3d the more you realise how powerful it is.
Its like the best music - the first time you hear it it doesn't really appeal - but how it grows on you !

MRaven(Posted 2003) [#5]
I have to agree. Quill3d IS really amazing. Of course you need some time to get into it, like with ANY other program you use. How long do you need to get into stuff like 3dmax? Weeks? Months? As Smiff I did not do much with the modelling section of Quill, but I use the map editor now for a couple of days and I'm totaly in control and stuff. It is real fun. If there is a hype, then yes, it's totaly legitimated.