those pesky bones

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/those pesky bones

nibby(Posted 2003) [#1]
hiya.
i'm making a game at the moment and i got a character .b3d character exported from max that i want to animate. i got all the animating sorted fro keystrokes but hten on top of that i want his gun arm to point at what ever it needs to.

I've done this using the arm=findchild(model,"blah blah blah")
and then the
pointentity(arm,target). this kindal works but the pivot of the arm is all funked up.

I guess what i'm asking is if anyone knows away to rotate the pivot of a bone without distorting the model. so that when i say point at something it points with the tip of the bone rather than the left hand side.

hope that made sence.

nibby

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Actually what needs to happen is PointEntity get updated so that you can supply an optional axis parameter to tell the command which axis to point with. Like how AlignToVector works (which may help you in this case, but you would need to figure out the vector to pass to the command by doing 3D math using the target location.)

Going to make this Feature Request.

nibby(Posted 2003) [#3]
so is it possible to designate what axis it points with. i think that this would solve the prob. if i could point with the x axis , coz the x axis points straight down the bone which would be perfect for pointing and stuff. do you think i desperatly need the maths calcs to do it or is there a way to modify the pointentity so that it uses this axis?

oh and thanks for the tips it got me thinking ;0)

Nibby